Skip navigation

College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences

Department of Languages & Literatures


Languages & Literatures Department

Frequently Asked Questions


What do I need to take to fulfill my language requirement?

The answer to this question varies depending on your major and your level of understanding of the language you wish to study.

The Center for World Languages and Cultures provides information on their website that can help explain how many and which courses you will likely be required to take. Make sure to take a look at the undergraduate language requirement flowcharts on CWLC's testing page.

Can I use study abroad credits to fulfill my Languages and Literatures degree requirements?

That depends on the courses you took abroad. Contact your study abroad adviser for course approvals and advising.

Can I do an internship for credit?

Internship opportunities are available to students studying French, German, Russian and Spanish.

  • Internships are only offered by individual arrangement with a faculty member. Students should contact a faculty member in their language program to get more information.
I transferred from another university. Will my language credits transfer?

The Department of Languages and Literatures doesn't approve or deny requests for transfer credits. This is handled by the Office of the Registrar. View their transfer credit policy, or contact them for more information.

I received language credit through an advanced high school class (AP/IB). How will my credits transfer over?

The Transfer and International Education Course Reporting System offered through myWeb will allow you to search for AP or IB credits and check whether or not they'll be accepted by DU. For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar.



I know what language I want to study. Which level should I sign up for?

If you've studied the language before, you must take a placement test to determine the best fit for you. No other test can be substituted for the placement test, including AB/IB language tests.  Placement tests are offered by the Center for World Languages and Cultures. Visit their undergraduate placement testing page for more information and instructions.

Do I need to take a placement test if I have never studied the language I wish to take?

No. Enroll in the first introductory course, 1001.



Do I have to see a faculty advisor before registering for a class?

Under normal circumstances, you should be able to register for a class through PioneerWeb without contacting an adviser. If PioneerWeb won't let you register for a class and you believe it's in error, contact the Office of the Registrar.

If you took the language placement test and your results indicated you should speak to an advisor, please visit the CWLC's website for guidance on who to contact or review their Language Advising Guide.

If you're still having trouble registering, contact the Department of Languages and Literatures by email or call 303-871-2662.

How do I know who my language advisor is?

Your major advisor can be found through PioneerWeb. Please contact us if there is no major advisor listed for your language.

  1. Click on the Student tab.
  2. Find the box labeled Advising and Registration Tools.
  3. Click My Student Profile
  4. Select the correct term in the top right corner.
  5. Your advisors should be listed at the bottom of the center box.

Study abroad advisors can be found on your language program's study abroad page.

General Advising by Language:

Arabic: Maha Foster
Chinese: Li Li Peters
French: Assigned by student's last name
German: Wilfried Wilms and Gabi Kathöfer
Hebrew: Sari Havis
Italian: Rachel Walsh
Japanese: Orna Shaughnessy
Latin/Greek: Victor Castellani
Russian: Gregory Ormiston and Alexei Bogdanov
Spanish: Spanish advisors for Spring 2019 

Where can I find a professor's office hours or contact information?

Visit the faculty and staff contact page for general contact information and the current quarter's office hours. You may also contact the Department of Languages and Literatures by email or by calling 303-871-2662.



How can I find a private tutor?

The Center for World Languages and Cultures maintains a list of private tutors. Individuals on this list are often current students or instructors. You can get a copy of the list by sending an email to CWLC and requesting the tutor list for your language.

Do you offer translation services?

Requests for translation are handled on an individual basis. On some occasions, our professors may be interested in offering translation services. Send an email to the Department of Languages and Literatures with the details of your request, and we will forward your message to our faculty.

Another option is to send an email to the Center for World Languages and Cultures and request a copy of their tutor list for the language you need translated. It is possible that someone on that list would be interested in helping you. You may also wish to investigate professional translation and interpretation companies near where you live.

I'd like to get rid of some books that are written in a foreign language. Will you take them off my hands?

You can certainly send us an email to see if we would be interested in accepting your donation, but we would usually recommend donating your used books to The Book Stack. The Book Stack is the University of Denver's volunteer-run used bookstore and all proceeds benefit the DU libraries. Please contact them at 303.871.2665 for more information. You might also consider contacting the University of Denver Library or your local public library.



The language I want to take isn't offered by the Department of Languages and Literatures. Are there any other options available?

The Center for World Languages and Cultures does offer some other options for language study.

Do you offer online classes or degrees?

No. We don't offer any online programs or degrees for any of our languages at this time.

Do you offer graduate degrees?

No. We don't offer graduate degrees in any of our languages at this time.

Do you offer evening classes?

We do not regularly offer evening classes. Please visit the Schedule Archives to see our typical class schedules.

The Community Language Institute at the CWLC offers noncredit evening classes in select languages. Please contact the CWLC directly for more information.

Can I audit a course or take one of your language classes if I am not a currently enrolled DU student?

The Department of Languages and Literatures does not permit informal auditing of our classes.

Formal registration is possible for individuals who have a bachelor's degree. For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Education and inquire about special status enrollment. You can also reach them at 303-871-2706.

Visiting students are admitted during Summer quarter. Please visit the Office of the Registrar's website and contact them directly at 303-871-4095 for more information.

The Community Language Institute at the CWLC offers noncredit, nontraditional language learning opportunities in the evenings with online practice and cultural exploration, as well as in individual, self-directed language study formats. Please contact the CWLC directly for more information.



When will a particular class be taught in the future?

The Office of the Registrar provides a schedule of classes on their website. Select the desired term to see what's being offered. You can also visit the Schedule Archives to look up course projections. Please keep in mind that upcoming course schedules are subject to change.

When are final exams for a particular course?

Final exam times and locations can be found on the Office of the Registrar's schedule of classes approximately three weeks before the start of the term. If not available, contact the Office of the Registrar.

If you're registered for the course, you can also find this information on PioneerWeb:

  1. Click on the myWeb tab.
  2. Click on Student and Financial Aid.
  3. Click on Registration.
  4. Click on Student Schedule by Day & Time.
  5. Enter the dates of the quarter's final week.
How can I schedule a time to visit campus?

Undergraduate Admission organizes campus visits for prospective students. Visit their website to schedule a time to visit the University of Denver.