Final Steps Towards Graduation
Earning a graduate degree is a tremendous accomplishment, and we're here to make sure you're ready to move into the next chapter of your life. To ensure the transition is successful, please review these important deadlines, along the graduate checklist. You'll also find information regarding commencement ceremonies and diploma receipt.
- Apply to Graduate
- Graduate students must apply at least two quarters prior to the intended quarter of graduation.
- Law students graduating spring or summer semester may apply as of November 1st of that academic year. For those planning to graduate in fall semester, the application will be available the first day of fall semester.
- Review graduation evaluation and complete remaining degree requirements
- Graduate students in University College and master's students in the Daniels College of Business and Graduate School of Social Work will receive the graduation evaluation from your academic unit. All other programs and doctoral students will receive a graduation evaluation from the Office of Graduate Education by the first day of the quarter in which you plan to graduate. Please review the graduation evaluation with your academic unit.
- Participate in the Commencement Ceremony
- The university has two commencement ceremonies each year: one in the spring (all fall, winter and spring graduation candidates are invited to participate) and one in the summer (all summer graduation candidates are invited to participate). The commencement ceremony is optional and is an opportunity for you to celebrate your accomplishments, however your degree is generally not certified until after the commencement ceremony.
- Visit the University's commencement website for more information on the commencement ceremonies.
- Students who are not graduating but would still like to participate in the commencement ceremony may submit a request to participate in commencement to the Office of Graduate Education.
- Degree Certification, Awarding the Degree, Diploma
- Following the completion of the quarter, the Office of Graduate Education (or appropriate academic unit) will begin certifying the degree(s) to be awarded. The certification process can take up to four weeks following the end of the quarter.
- A student can determine when their degree has been awarded by reviewing their unofficial transcript on Pioneerweb.
- Diplomas are mailed to students by the Office of the Registrar 6-8 weeks after the last day of the quarter. Students should ensure that all holds have been removed in order to receive their diploma.
- Make sure that your preferred mailing address is in Pioneerweb.
- Apply to Graduate
PioneerWeb is the home for all your student essentials, including your graduation application. Under the Student Records folder, select Apply to Graduate. Make sure to follow the Graduation Checklist to ensure you've applied successfully.
The Graduate Bulletin is home to all official graduate student policies, including academic requirements and procedures. Ensure you've met all the academic requirements for your program before you apply to graduate. If you have questions about remaining on track, reach out to your academic unit for advising.
2019-2020 Graduation Application Deadlines
Fall 2019 Quarter: June 23, 2019
Winter 2020 Quarter: September 16, 2019
Spring 2020 Quarter: January 13, 2020
Summer 2020 Quarter: April 13, 2020