The Chester M. Alter Arboretum is free and open to the public 365 days a year. The Arboretum is located on the University of Denver campus, with an information kiosk at the southwest corner of the Mary Reed Building:
- 2199 S. University Blvd
Denver, CO 80210
There is no entrance fee to the Arboretum, but donations are accepted to help support its daily operations.
Take a virtual tour of the Chester M. Alter Arboretum from your computer!Virtual Tour
The Chester M. Alter Arboretum is intended for the study of plants and the passive appreciation of nature. Activities must be conducted in a manner that does not interfere with the general public's enjoyment of the Arboretum.
Groups and individuals using the Arboretum should be aware of the following rules:
- Picking up, damaging, or vandalizing plant material and/or signage is strictly prohibited.
- Climbing trees is not allowed, nor is walking in plant beds or mulched areas.
- No wading in the ponds.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times. Owners are responsible for removal and disposal of their dogs' waste.
- Motor vehicles are not allowed without special permit.
- Fires and barbecues are prohibited.
- Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths.
- Download a PDF version of the full Chester M. Alter Arboretum map here.
- Be sure to download a Tree Walk Guide or pick one up at the information kiosk to help direct you through the Arboretum's gardens and collections.
- Check out an interactive map highlighting our Champion Trees or take a virtual tour.
- Living accessions can be located on the grounds by referencing a grid number on our AutoCad grid map. For instance, a Rocky Mountain juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) specimen is located in grid number B8A016.
Flickr Photo Collection
Let the world see your vision of the Chester M. Alter Arboretum by sharing your photos on the Arboretum Flickr pool. Family photos, landscape views, plant and animal close-ups are all welcome, as long as you took the image at the Arboretum.