Skip navigation


Chester M Alter Arboretum

About Our Staff

Mark Rodgers

University Architect
University of Denver
2400 South Race Street
Denver, CO 80208
Phone: 303-871-4779
Email: [email protected]


Master of Architecture (1991), University of Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts (1988), Bowdoin College

As the University Architect for the University of Denver, I have the responsibility for the design of the campus construction projects. Following Cabell Childress, FAIA and former Chancellor Daniel Ritchie's established design direction, I continue the challenging work of unifying the campus in a manner that embraces its distinguished architectural history, accounts for the necessity of enduring design, and celebrates an enthusiasm for DU's future. Reflecting this commitment to stewardship, the University achieved the first LEED Gold Certification in the state of Colorado for the Ricketson Law Building. Since the inception of the Alter Arboretum, my office, working with many talented landscape architects, has worked to create memorable and educational landscape across the 130 acres of our University Park campus. Highlights include native species, adaptive species, and permaculture gardens. In 2007, I drafted the University's Sustainability Statement for its Board of Trustees approved Land-Use Plan and serve on the University's Sustainability Council.

Since 1994, I have had the opportunity to be deeply involved in building new, over 60% of the campus and significantly renovating over half of the remaining 40%. The work at the University was awarded an AIA Presidential Citation in 2000, along with local, regional, and national recognition for individual projects. Recently, the University has celebrated the success of its architectural heritage with the publishing of the book Built for Learning.

My wife and I are the proud parents of young three Coloradans who each enjoy the outdoors. When there is a rare free moment, I enjoy collecting beer cans from around the world.