The Office of the University Architect is entrusted by the Board of Trustees to oversee the architectural integrity of the University of Denver's University Park Campus. The design and structure of the campus is approached with precision and versatility. Our office is charged to design a campus that is a cohesive and distinctive project that celebrates its 150-year architectural heritage.
The architects provide guidance on new construction, renovation, and restoration of existing buildings and the campus landscape. This also includes providing assistance with furniture selection, informed understanding of the latest in architectural support, and both phases of the capital projects process, sponsored by the Vice Chancellor of Business & Financial Affairs.
A hallmark of our work is a commitment to longevity, sustainability, and durability. Notably, recent projects include one of the earliest United Stated Green Building Council's LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Gold Certified buildings: The Ricketson Law Building. It is the first law school building in the country to receive this certification. The Nagel Residence Hall completed in August of 2008 received a LEED Gold Certification as well.
The Office of the University Architect is responsible for contracting with noted local and national design architectural and engineering firms. The architects have also been recognized by such organizations as the American Institute for Architects (National President's Citation) and the Association of University Architects (Award of Merit) for the work that has been a part of the University's rise in national and international prominence.
About Mark Eliot Rodgers, University Architect
Mark Eliot Rodgers, AIA & AUA
Office: Facilities Service Center
Master of Architecture (1991), University of Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts (1988), Bowdoin College
As the University Architect for the University of Denver, I have the responsibility for the design of the campus construction projects. Following Cabell Childress, FAIA and former Chancellor Daniel Ritchie's established design direction, I continue the challenging work of unifying the campus in a manner that embraces its distinguished architectural history, accounts for the necessity of enduring design, and celebrates an enthusiasm for DU's future. Reflecting this commitment to stewardship, the University achieved the first LEED Gold Certification in the state of Colorado for the Ricketson Law Building. Since the inception of the Chester M. Alter Arboretum, my office, working with many talented landscape architects, has worked to create a memorable and educational landscape across the 130 acres of our University Park campus. Highlights include native species, adaptive species, and permaculture gardens. In 2007, I drafted the University's Sustainability Statement for its Board of Trustees-approved Land Use Plan and began serving on the University's Sustainability Council.
Since 1994, I have had the opportunity to be deeply involved in building over 60% of the campus anew and significantly renovating more than half of the remaining 40%. The work at the University was awarded an AIA Presidential Citation in 2000, along with local, regional, and national recognition for individual projects. Recently, the University has celebrated the success of its architectural heritage with the publication of the book, Built for Learning.
My wife and I are the proud parents of three young Coloradans who each enjoy the outdoors. When there is a rare free moment, I enjoy collecting beer cans from around the world.