Support Black Community Members at DU
Support and provide resources to address the lived experiences of Black community members at DU.
Action Item Details
Modeling the resources and focused attention for the Latinx and Indigenous/Native Communities at DU (e.g. Latinx Center at DU), this action item, to be launched in Fall 2020, will provide resources to appoint a Black Community Experience Coordinator for the 2020-2021 academic year. The Coordinator will work in the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) to facilitate the University’s response to the systemic and institutional exclusion of Black people at DU.
The response coordinator position might specifically address:
- Lack of inclusive physical and social spaces for Black faculty, staff, and students
- Institutional and systematic remedies to address racial battle fatigue experienced by DU’s Black community in the classrooms, offices, and communal spaces
The response coordinator might also identify programs and structures to center and value the Black experience in the intellectual and everyday life of the University. Such programs could include:
- The establishment of a center for Black studies and community engagement
- Protocol for reflection, learning, and action programming around Black History Month and the Juneteenth Holiday
- A Black Community Advisory Board comprised of students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members to help set both accountability measures and priorities for DU