Incident Reporting

Survivors have several options for reporting an incident of sexual assault or gender-based violence and may report through any and all reporting options, separately or simultaneously.

Survivors should understand that a University investigation from the Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX is different from a criminal investigation.

Reporting within DU may initiate an investigation that may result in University actions, up to and including dismissal of the current employee or student found responsible for a Title IX policy violation.

Reporting to Denver Police Department may initiate legal charges against the accused party. The results of criminal charges may include fines or jail time.

For all options, the Center for Advocacy, Prevention and Education (CAPE) can provide survivors with support when reporting and throughout the investigative processes.

Report an Incident

Submit a Report

Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX

The Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX is responsible for reviewing and investigating reports of gender-based discrimination– this includes discrimination based on gender, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, stalking, and domestic and dating violence.

If you would like to find out more about the Title IX process prior to making a report or initiating a formal complaint, you can meet with the Title IX Coordinator without disclosing specific details of the situation.

You can contact the Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX: 303-871-7016 or


Campus Safety

Campus Safety is available 24/7 by phone 303-871-3000. Any allegations of sexual assault or gender-based violence reported to Campus Safety will be forwarded to the Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX for review and outreach to complainant.


Criminal Reporting

There are four options to initiate a criminal complaint:

  1. Call Denver Police Department (DPD) at 720-913-2000, and ask to make a report.
  2. Visit a Denver Police Station to make a report in person. The District Three Station is located near DU's campus at 1625 S. University Blvd.
  3. Contact Campus Safety at 303-871-3000 and they can assist you in connecting with DPD to make a report.
  4. Have a SANE (sexual assault nurse examiner) forensic exam. Denver Health or Porter Hospital both offer this service. CAPE and the After-Hours Counselor on Call can arrange the support of an advocate at the hospital if you choose to have a SANE forensic exam. The hospital will contact DPD; however, even when DPD is called, the survivor has the right to remain anonymous and not to file an official report at that time. When evidence is collected by a SANE forensic xxam, the survivor has up to two years to make a decision about whether they wish to file an official police report.  More information about the SANE process can be found on the CAPE website.