What is Nvivo?
NVivo is a qualitative and mixed-methods data analysis software tool.
Cost and Eligibility:
NVivo is licensed by departments for specific computers as needed, but its use is not broad enough on campus to warrant site licensing.
A note on compatibility with Previous Versions of NVIVO:
If you Install NVIVO on a machine that already has NVIVO 20 both versions will remain on the machine, running side by side and could create conflicts. Please Deactivate and uninstall NVIVO 20 before installing NVIVO 14 (the numbering of NVIVO has changed, and 14 is newer than 20).
Please Deactivate your license for NVivo before uninstalling from your device (see below).
NVivo (Windows or Mac) is available as a download from My.DU.edu > Technology Resources > Mac/PC applications
Install Nvivo (Windows)
- Locate and double-click the NVivo file that you downloaded—the installation process starts automatically. Follow the prompts to:
- Select a language for the NVivo user interface (if prompted).
- Install any prerequisite components. You may be asked to restart your computer—on restart the installation may not continue automatically. Click on installer again if it does not.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Confirm the location of NVivo program files and choose to include an NVivo icon on your desktop.
- Choose the supplementary add-ons that you want to install. NCapture is a browser extension that allows you to gather material from the web.
- Click Install and the installation confirmation is displayed.
- Click Finish.
NOTE: If users work with audio and video files, you may need to install additional codecs—for more information, refer to the FAQs on the QSR website.
Install NVivo for Mac
To install NVivo for Mac:
- Locate and double-click the NVivo dmg file that you downloaded from PioneerWeb.
- Drag the NVIVO icon into your Applications folder.
- You will be prompted to open security settings and give NVIVO Full Disc Permission.
- Choose "Provide Enterprise Key to activate" at the bottom of the activate screen.
- Enter License Key found on Pioneer Web > Resources (beneath the GET link for NVIVO).
- Enter required fields within License Activation window to build your NVIVO user Profile.
You need to activate your NVivo license—this is a simple and secure process that ensures valid licenses are used to operate the software.
Each instance of NVivo needs to be activated.
Your license key is:
To enter and activate a license:
- Start NVivo.
- Unlicensed versions should automatically bring up the licensing wizard
- On the Welcome to NVivo dialog box, choose "Provide enterprise key to activate" (near bottom)
- On the License Activation dialog box, enter your details (must include the required feilds).
- Click Activate.
- On the User Profile dialog box, you are prompted to set up the default NVivo user profile:
- Enter the user's name for their user profile—by default it is set to their Windows user account name.
- Enter the user's initials—these will be used to identify any work that they do in a project.
- Click OK.
Please deactivate the Nvivo license on a particular computer before uninstalling Nvivo. For example, if you get a new computer then you should deactivate the Nvivo license on the old computer before installing and activating on the new one.
- Make sure that you are connected to the internet.
- Close any Nvivo projects you have open.
- Click the File tab, Product Info, Manage License and then Deactivate License.
- Confirm deactivation, and close Nvivo.
Moving to A New License Key
If you have Nvivo installed on your machine but the license key needs to be changed.
- First deactivate your existing license (per above).
- Then close and reopen Nvivo
- Nvivo will reopen un-activated and bring up the licensing wizard again.
- Activate as described above using the new key.