Update on Title IX Regulations
Dear Students, Staff and Faculty,
The U.S. Department of Education released its new, final Title IX regulations earlier today. We are obligated to abide by these regulations since they include mandatory requirements applicable to all higher education institutions that receive federal funding in any form, including federal student financial aid. The stated effective date of the regulations is Aug. 14, 2020. We have posted the final regulations and other documents released by the Department of Education on the DU Title IX website.
Importantly, DU's Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX remains committed to providing training and education and investigating complaints of harassment, discrimination and violence based on any protected characteristic. That is our true north and will continue to be.
Since the release of the proposed Title IX regulations on Nov. 16, 2018, the University of Denver has been reviewing and analyzing the proposed regulations to determine their potential impact on DU policies, procedures and practices.
We understand that members of the DU community may have questions or concerns about the impact that the final regulations will have on the Title IX process at DU. We commit to be transparent and responsive to our students, staff and faculty over the next several months while we work to implement the final regulations.
Here is a sketch of the timeline for the next few months:
- May: Review and interpret the requirements of the final regulations in consultation with national experts and the Colorado State Sexual Misconduct Advisory Committee
- June: Engage with the DU community via a virtual town hall to get feedback on and initial thoughts on implementation of the final regulations
- June: Begin drafting the revised policies and procedures to comply with the final regulations
- June: Appoint an advisory committee to include students, faculty and staff
- June-July: Engage with the Advisory Committee to solicit feedback on the implementation of the final regulations
- July: Circulate a draft of the revised policies and procedures to campus constituents for feedback
- August: Finalize, publish and implement the revised policies and procedures
We will be in touch within the next few weeks to schedule the June town hall. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the new regulations please do not hesitate to be in touch.
Interim Executive Director, Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX