Champions of Change Awards
Celebrating DU Changemakers
This year, the Diversity Summit will join forces with the Sustainability Summit linking social justice and sustainability efforts. Sessions will demonstrate the vital links between social justice and sustainable practices and movements, under the theme Peace, Justice & Inclusive Communities. The theme was derived from the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Supporting this theme, the Summit will focus on two key areas: Reduced Inequalities and Sustainable Communities and where these two areas intersect.
Through the Champions of Change Awards, the Diversity Summit Committee recognizes the outstanding accomplishments of our employees and students. The Awards applaud those who contribute to diversity, racial and other social justice efforts that support an inclusive community. We also recognize there are Champions among us who take their work beyond the bounds of the University campus. These values of our Champions of Change are seen through exemplary leadership and action to reducing inequities.
Award winners will have done one or more of the following:
- Develop and maintain highly relevant programming and/or policies and support for advancing inclusiveness, racial and other social justice efforts throughout the University of Denver campus
- Coordinate and/or support ongoing efforts related to reducing inequities at DU in an individual's spheres of influence
- Create a welcoming and inclusive university environment (climate) through training, curriculum reform and delivery, and/or research/creative activity
- Have a positive impact on recruitment, retention, and graduation of a diverse student body and/or promotion of a diverse workforce at all levels.
- Develop and maintain consistent accountability measures in order to accurately assess progress toward institutionalizing inclusion, equity and diversity.
- Engage in meaningful efforts to connect inclusion and sustainability work to effect positive change related to racial and other social inequities impacting members of our DU community.
Please contact DiversitySummit@du.edu if you have specific questions.
To be announced today!
Undergraduate Student: Makia Jones
Graduate Student: Carolyn Coles
Faculty Advocate: Dr. Armond Towns
Staff: Deana Ahmad
Administrator: Dr. Frank Tuitt
Unit Advocate: Graduate School of Social Work
Undergraduate Student: Sara Yafe
Graduate Student: Keelie Sorel
Faculty Advocate: Lindsey Feitz
Staff: Ryan Hanschen
Administrator: Nancy Sasaki
Undergraduate Student: Brooke Baxa
Graduate Student: Sergio Juarez, Communication Studies
Faculty Advocate: Roberto Corrada, Sturm College of Law
Staff: Karen Escobar, Natural Sciences & Mathematics
Administrator: Dr Shelley Smith-Acuna, Graduate School of Professional Psychology
Undergraduate Student: Alejandro Garcia, Undergraduate Student Government
Graduate Student: Leslie Rossman, Communication Studies, Graduate Student Government
Faculty Advocate: Dr Bernadette Calafell, Communication Studies
Staff: Nashwa Bolling, Undergraduate Admission
Administrator: Dr Barbara Wilcots, Asc Provost for Graduate Studies, and English faculty
special award for Institutional Leadership: Dr Robert Coombe, Chancellor
Undergraduate Student: Marin Klostermeier
Graduate Student: Sujie Kim, Morgridge College of Education
Faculty: Dr Hava Gordon, Sociology and Criminology, and Gender & Women's Studies
Staff: Kristin Olson, Office of Student Conduct, Student Life
special award for Alumni Achievement: Dr William Cross