Admission Requirements for International Applicants

Before you apply: language requirements & more

If English is not your native language, you will have to submit test scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). We cannot process your application until your TOEFL or IELTS score is received. Keep in mind these scores are only valid for two years.

  • Minimum TOEFL Score: 80 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based)
  • Minimum IELTS Score: 6.0
  • Our Institution Code for TOEFL and IELTS: 4842
  • English language exemption
    Did you complete your bachelor's or graduate degree at a university where the primary language of instruction and examination is English? You may be exempt from the TOEFL, the IELTS and our English Language Proficiency Assessment. Submit proof of these circumstances with your application materials. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding your eligibility for exemption.
  • English conditional assessment
    If you do not take a proficiency test, or your TOEFL and IELTS scores do not meet our graduate school requirements, you can still attend our university. Our graduate units provide English Conditional Admission (ECA) to non-native English speakers. With ECA, you would complete training at our English Language Center to meet your English language requirement before beginning courses in your degree program.
  • Graduate teaching assistants

    As our graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) deliver lectures and communicate often with students, you need to demonstrate fluency in English to become a GTA.

    • Minimum TOEFL Speaking Section Score: 26 (iBT)
    • Minimum IELTS Speaking Section Score: 8
  • Transcripts

    Our Office of International Student Admission assesses all transcripts from outside the U.S. Our transcript review process can take three to four weeks. Be sure to submit your transcripts ahead of time so we can complete our review before your program deadline.

  • Passport
    Prior to receiving an admission offer, we encourage non-U.S. citizens to upload or submit a copy of the photograph and legal name page of your passport. We cannot issue your I-20 or DS-2019 without your passport.
  • Financial verification form

    We ask that all international students submit a financial verification form. You will need to submit this form along with a bank statement or certificate of deposit showing sufficient liquid funds for your estimated cost of attendance. If a sponsor or government office is financing your education, you will need to supply a student financial guarantee letter (FGL) from your sponsoring agency or government office.

    You are required to submit these forms and statements in order to be provided with an I-20. We encourage you to submit this form with your application.

  • SEVIS supplement form

    You need to submit your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Supplement Form. We use this form to verify your information so your I-20 or DS-2019 is accurate. We cannot issue your I-20 or DS-2019 without your SEVIS Supplement Form.

    We encourage you to submit this form with your application.

Apply for admission

Go to our online application and begin submitting your materials.

Get Started

After You Are Admitted: Immigration and Enrollment

Once you are admitted to your program of choice, you must take several steps to successfully immigrate to the United States and enroll in our university.

I-20 & DS-2019

The I-20 is the "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status". DS-2019 is the "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status". Either an I-20 or a DS-2019 is required by the U.S. government as part of your visa application.

We can only issue an I-20 or DS-2019 once you have met all of our graduate school requirements. You will also need to show you have sufficient funds for your degree program to receive an I-20 or DS-2019. You can speed up this process by submitting your financial verification form with your application.

Download the Form


You will need to take several steps to immigrate to the U.S. after admission. You can speed up this process by submitting your financial verification form and SEVIS Supplement Form with your application.

Your immigration process:

  • Receive your I-20 or DS-2019
  • Pay your SEVIS fee
  • Schedule your visa interview
  • Enter the U.S. with J-1 or F-1 status

Immigration Information

English Language Proficiency Assessment (ELPA)

If you are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, our English Language Center will assess your English proficiency after you are admitted. This exam is required for all our non-native English speaking students, even if you have exceptional TOEFL / IELTS scores. Our graduate teaching assistants will also have to complete a speaking proficiency assessment.

More Info on the ELPA

Office of International Student & Scholar Services

If you have any questions regarding your visa, housing or employment, our Office of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) can provide information and support.

  • Maintaining your visa
  • Your health and wellness
  • Life at our University

Visit ISSS


International Student Admission

Office of International Student & Scholar Services