The Pioneer Prep Leadership Institute is part of our commitment to diversity and inclusiveness. These three-day programs are designed for rising high school juniors and seniors who are looking ahead to their college experience and want an early look at higher education.
At Pioneer Prep, you'll learn about college access and career planning. In addition, you'll be able to engage with speakers, activities and fellow scholars to enhance and further develop your cultural identity.
Summer 2018 dates coming soon
Benefits of Pioneer Prep
- You'll get three days on the DU campus, learning about college access and leadership while engaging with your cultural identity. Check out sample programs from the Latino/a Institute and Black and African American Institutes to get an idea of what you'll be doing.
- As a Pioneer Prep Scholar, we'll waive your $65 application fee if you choose to apply for college at DU.
- If you're admitted to DU and meet our criteria for financial need, you'll be considered for a DU Pathways Scholarship, which is worth up to $7,500 and is renewable for four years.
- Every quarter, you'll have access to activities on campus so you can connect with DU staff and other Pioneer Prep Scholars.
Getting ready for Pioneer Prep
- Required Documents
Apply online by May 15.
Submit your transcript and counselor recommendation with your application.
Send in your resume and a second recommendation as an optional addition to your application.
Application will open in Spring 2018. Contact us with questions.
- Program Costs
We do not have an application fee for this program. First-time attendees of the program pay $60 to confirm their attendance. Returning attendees pay $40.
We provide room, board, curriculum and entertainment at no additional cost. You can also apply for a travel stipend to cover some of the cost of getting to campus. Find out if you're eligible for the travel stipend.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to bring?
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and soap
- Hairbrush and hair products
- Personal hygiene items
- Wash cloth
- Large towel
- Shower shoes
- Comfortable clothing and shoes
- Light jacket
- One dress outfit for the Saturday formal dinner
- Prescribed medications
For further accomodation details click here.
- What costs are covered for the program?All costs for the program are covered, including food, lodging and entertainment. You don't need to bring extra money for your stay. We'll accommodate all dietary restrictions for students.
- Where will I stay during the program?You'll be staying in either Nelson or Nagel Hall, two of our residences for second year and upperclass students. Each building has suites that contain either two or four bedrooms with a shared common area and bathroom. For detailed lodging policies click here.
- Who is Pioneer Prep designed for?We've built Pioneer Prep specifically for high school juniors and seniors who want to get an early look at the college experience and learn how to navigate the application process.
- What kind of security will be in effect during the program?Pioneer Prep is staffed by DU employees. All buildings are fully locked and accessible only with a DU security card. We'll provide this when you arrive. Campus is monitored 24/7 by DU security.
- I'm flying in. Will someone pick me up from the airport?Yes, a DU employee will meet you at the airport, and we'll arrange a shuttle to take you from the airport to campus. We'll also arrange transportation back to the airport at the end of the program.
- I received a travel stipend. What will it cover?The travel stipend will cover your airfare and luggage costs. All other costs (food, entertainment, housing) are covered by the program.
- Do I need to speak Spanish to participate in the Latino/a Pioneer Prep program?No! Some materials will be provided in both English and Spanish, but you don't need to speak Spanish to be a part of the program.
- Can I bring a car?Yes, and we'll give you a parking permit when you arrive. However, you won't be allowed to drive off-campus without special permission from DU staff. Your car should remain in the garage until the end of the program.