Undocumented Students

Education without discrimination

We strive to foster a diverse and welcoming campus community for all students, regardless of background, race or immigration status. As part of that commitment, we welcome and encourage applications from students with an undocumented immigration status.

If you're an undocumented or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) student, we invite you to apply using our international student admission process.

Are you a high school or transfer student who attends school in Colorado? If so, apply to DU during the 2021 Colorado Free Application Days - October 19 - 21!

Financial Aid for Undocumented Students

As with all students accepted to DU, we consider all undocumented college students for up to $30,000 per year in merit-based scholarships. These scholarships are considered on an individual basis, and the amount you can receive is based on your academic record. Many of our merit scholarships include a $3,000 Residence Hall Grant.

We reward exceptional talent in the arts and athletics through several specialized scholarships. These have separate requirements and criteria from merit-based scholarships and are typically renewable on a yearly basis.

While undocumented college students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid, there are two types of aid available from the State of Colorado—the Colorado Student Grant and Colorado Work-Study. There are also a number of organizations that provide scholarships and resources to help you navigate the financial aid process.

Financial Aid & Resources

CTA Background

Ready to learn more?

Create a Custom Viewbook to explore the University of Denver's campus, community and student experience. 

Custom Viewbook

Application Checklist

Submit Your Application

Choose a Deadline

  1. Nov. 1 for Early Decision I and Early Action
  2. Jan. 15 for Early Decision II and Regular Decision

What's the difference between the deadline options?

  1. Early Decision is a binding agreement between you and the University that you will attend DU if you're accepted. You can only apply Early Decision to one school, and if you're accepted to DU via Early Decision, you must withdraw your applications from other institutions. You should only apply Early Decision if you're sure you want to be a DU student.
  2. Early Action and Regular Decision are non-binding applications, and you can apply to as many schools as you like for these deadlines.

Fill out your application

  1. We accept the Common Application.
  2. The application includes an essay requirement.

Submit the application fee

  1. The application requires a $65 nonrefundable application fee.
    1. To pay online, please log back into your Common Application account.
    2. You can also pay by check or money order, mailed to Undergraduate Admission.
    3. If you're facing financial hardship, you can apply for a fee waiver. We grant these on a case-by-case basis, and you should speak with your high school counselor to determine if you're eligible. We accept waiver forms from reputable sources like NACAC.

Submit Your Supporting Materials

Submit your test scores

  1. We encourage you to take the SAT and/or ACT standardized tests. Once you receive your results, if you think your scores are an accurate representation of your ability, please send them our way. If you ultimately think that your test scores do not represent your abilities and potential, feel free to choose our test-optional process. Please be sure to review exceptions on this site.
  2. In order to remove the typically required item of “test score” from your application checklist, please be sure to indicate that you will be applying through our test-optional process on the Common Application. Please note that, if you select this option, test scores will not be used (even if submitted) for admission or merit scholarship consideration.
  3. If you choose to include a test score, we will require scores from either the SAT or the ACT. You are free to submit both, but this is not required.
  4. Submit your test scores via College Board or ACT using the following codes:
    1. SAT Code: 4842
    2. ACT Code: 0534
  5. We do not consider subject test or writing sections.
  6. Super score: If you’ve taken either test more than once, we’ll combine the best sub-scores to create your best possible composite result.
  7. If you receive an application fee waiver you have the option to upload ACT and/or SAT test scores to your application status page. Simply log into your account to choose the "Student Submitted Test Score" material upload type and send your official test scores through our site. You may also email us at admission@du.edu. Once we verify the score report, we will complete the test score requirement for your application. Please note this process may take 24-48 hours to complete.

Send your transcript

  1. Send your official high school transcript or verification of a GED.
  2. Your high school counselor can send your transcript electronically through Naviance or the Common Application.

Alternatively, your counselor can mail your transcript to this address:
Undergraduate Admission
University of Denver
University Hall
2197 S. University Blvd.
Denver, CO 80208-9401

Send your letters of recommendation

  1. Counselors need to submit either the Common Application Secondary School Report, the NACAC Secondary School Report or a personal letter.
  2. You're welcome to submit additional letters from those that know you best and can speak to your academic abilities and personal qualities (a teacher, a coach, etc.). These letters are optional.
  3. If you'd like, you can submit a ZeeMee profile with your application (ZeeMee is a free service designed to help students bring their application to life by highlighting your personal story via photos, videos and text). This is optional, but if you'd like to include it, simply copy and paste your ZeeMee link into your University of Denver application.

Additional Steps

Check your application status

You can use our online tool to check the status of your application.

Pay your deposit

If you've been accepted to DU and you want to join us as an undergraduate student, submit your deposit online to confirm your spot.

Submit your deposit

Additional Resources 


Frequently Asked Questions

Related Stories