Frequently Asked Questions

In order to help you through the application process, here is a list of frequently asked questions.  If you have additional questions about the program, please contact Dr. Rhonda Eaker at or 303-765-3136.

Questions About Application Materials

  • Where should I send my application materials

    All application materials (with the exception of transcripts) should be submitted as part of the online application.

    You can also invite recommenders to submit letters through the online application. Each recommender will be contacted directly via email as soon as you click "submit."

    Please send official transcripts to:
    Office of Graduate Education
    Mary Reed Building Room 5
    2199 S. University Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80208

    For questions about receipt of application materials, please contact the Office of Graduate Education:
    Phone: 303-871-2706
    Fax: 303-871-4942
    Online: Graduate Admission 

  • What is considered an official transcript?

    In order to be considered official, each transcript must arrive in a sealed and stamped (with the registrar/school's official stamp) envelope. 

    The Joint Ph.D. Program requires an official transcript from each institution from which more than a half credit was earned. This includes community college and study abroad programs.

  • Do I send my transcripts directly to the DU/Iliff Joint PhD program?

    No, transcripts should be sent to the University of Denver's Office of Graduate Education:

    Office of Graduate Education
    Mary Reed Building Room 5
    2199 S University Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80208

    They can either be sent straight from the university's registrar's office or from the applicant directly. Regardless of how they are sent, transcripts must be in a sealed envelope with the university's official stamp across the seal.

  • Is it really necessary to submit my study abroad transcripts?

    Typically, yes. However, if your home college/university transcript includes the name of the study abroad institution, titles of courses taken, credit hours earned, and the grades received during your time abroad, a separate transcript may not be necessary. DU's Office of Graduate Education will inform you whether a study abroad transcript is required.

  • How should my recommenders submit their letters of recommendation?

    It is best for recommenders to submit their letters of recommendation online, which is initiated when you create an invitation as part of your online application. You will need to enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders once you click "Create Invitation."

    Your recommenders will then receive a similar message to the following:

    From: (Name of applicant)

    The University of Denver is requesting a letter of recommendation on behalf of (name of applicant), an applicant to the for (name of school/degree program).

    Fill out this form online at: (link to recommendation form).

    We thank you for your support of (name of applicant).

    Kind regards,

    Roberto Garcia | Director of Graduate Enrollment Management University of Denver | Office Of Graduate Education 2199 S. University Boulevard | Denver, CO 80208 Phone 30-871-2706 | Email

  • Can my recommenders mail their letters of recommendation?

    Yes, but the preferred method is through the online system.

    If, however, your recommender prefers to send in a hard copy, he/she must mail it in a sealed envelope with his/her signature across the seal. The letter should be mailed to:

    Office of Graduate Education University of Denver
    Mary Reed Building Room 5
    2199 S. University Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80208

  • Can I check the status of my application online?

    Yes, you can check the status of your application on PioneerWeb by logging in with your DU/User ID (87XXXXXXX) and using your birthdate (MMDDYY) as the initial password. You will need to change this password once you login. Once you are in PioneerWeb, click on myWeb. Then click Banner Self-Service. Click Student and Financial Aid. Click Admissions, then choose the appropriate application.

  • If I would like to reapply for admission, am I able to reuse anything from my previous application?

    Transcripts may be reused for up to three years for applicants who applied after the fall 2012 quarter. However, applicants who are reapplying must submit a new:

    • Online application (you can still use your original username and password. Once you have logged in, select "New" under the "Application in Progress" section and begin your new application)
    • Statement of purpose
    • Updated resume
    • Letters of recommendation
    • A $65 application fee

Questions About Standardized Tests

  • Do I have to take the GRE?

    Beginning in fall 2022, the DU/Iliff Joint PhD in the Study of Religion will no longer require the GRE. 

  • Do I have to take the TOEFL?
    • Students are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if their language is not English, or they have  been educated in countries where English is not the native language.

    • TOEFL or IELTS scores must be received before a student's application will be processed. Scores are valid for two years from the test date.

    • The minimum TOEFL/IELTS/CAE test score requirements for this degree program are:

    Minimum TOEFL Score (Internet-based test): 80
    Minimum TOEFL Score (Paper-based test): 550
    Minimum IELTS Score: 6.5
    Minimum CAE Score: 176

    • Students may be exempt from this requirement if they have already earned a post-secondary degree from an accredited university where the language of instruction and examination was English.
  • Can I take the TEOFL more than once?

    Yes, you can take the TOEFL more than once, but be sure to submit new scores to the university each time you take the exam. The institutional code for the University of Denver is 4842.

  • How long before my language test scores expire?

    TOEFL and IELTS scores expire after two years.

    You must retake the exam if you took the exam outside of these time frames.

  • What is the institutional code for the DU/Iliff Joint PhD program for the TOEFL?

    Use the University of Denver's institutional code (4842) for the TOEFL.

I've Been Admitted, Now What?



DU/Iliff Joint PhD Program in the Study of Religion

Follow the DU/Iliff Joint PhD Program in the Study of Religion