International Students

Bringing the world to Denver

Visa for International Students

International students in the Joint PhD Program are generally assisted in immigration matters by DU's International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, which issues the necessary F-1 and J-1 visa paperwork. Students also have access to the University of Denver's Foreign Student Advising Office, which serves many of the needs of international students. All international students are encouraged to consult with DU's Office Of Graduate Education or ISSS with questions regarding international admissions.

Currently more than 1,400 international students from 89 countries are studying at the University of Denver in various fields.  All international students are required to report to the ISSS office when they arrive in Denver:

International Student Advising Office

ISSS House
2200 S. Josephine Street
Denver, CO 80208
Monday – Friday 8:00 – 4:30
Click here to make an appointment with the ISSS advisor. Find ISSS on Facebook: 

International students can apply for F-1 or J-1 visa to enter the US. Find more information on how to acquire F-1 or J-1 visa here. During the program, international students are required to maintain their visa status. More info here on how to maintain visa status.

Health Care

All international students are required to have health insurance. DU provides Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Students can also buy insurance from another company which meets waiver requirement from DU. Before registering for classes, students also have to provide proof of immunization. Find more information on US healthcare system and insurance here.  


Federal immigration regulations limit employment for F-1 and J-1 students: the kind of employment, the number of hours per week and the periods of employment. You should verify that you have authorization before beginning in any form of employment. You are allowed to work on-campus no more than 20 hours per week when school is in session. Find more information on on-campus employment here. Watch this video using your DU credentials on how to find on-campus employment.

OCI and Job Listings page lists student employment positions that you can explore by signing in using your DU credentials. This student employment opportunity has helped JDP students fund their education and living. Contact the office of Career and Professional Development for student employment inquiries. Students may also apply for Curricular Practical TrainingOptional Practical Training, or Academic Training. Please consult an ISSS advisor for more information.


JDP does not own nor arrange any housing for students. You may find information regarding resources for on-campus and off-campus housing here or at ISSS housing information page.



DU/Iliff Joint PhD Program in the Study of Religion

Follow the DU/Iliff Joint PhD Program in the Study of Religion