Understanding Reporting

If you have experienced discrimination, harassment, or gender-based violence, we encourage you to report all incidents and suspected incidents directly to our office by filling out the Incident Report Form. Members of our Office will review your report and contact you to follow up.

If you would like to report to law enforcement you have four options to initiate a criminal complaint:

  1. Call Denver Police Department (DPD) at 720-913-2000, and ask to make a report.
  2. Visit a Denver Police Station to make a report in person. The District Three Station is located near DU's campus at 1625 S. University Blvd.
  3. Contact Campus Safety at 303-871-3000 and they can assist you in connecting with DPD to make a report.
  4. Have a SANE (sexual assault nurse examiner) forensic exam. Denver Health or Porter Hospital both offer this service. CAPE and the After-Hours Counselor on Call can arrange the support of an advocate at the hospital if you choose to have a SANE forensic exam. The hospital will contact DPD; however, even when DPD is called, the survivor has the right to remain anonymous and not to file an official report at that time. When evidence is collected by a SANE forensic xxam, the survivor has up to two years to make a decision about whether they wish to file an official police report.  More information about the SANE process can be found on the CAPE website.

You may also disclose an incident to a faculty or staff member for help making a report. All faculty and staff who do not work for a confidential resource (CAPE and HCC) are Responsible Employees (mandatory reporters) for complaints of discrimination, harassment and gender-based violence. This includes residents assistants/directors and graduate assistants.

After your Report

When you, or someone else on your behalf, reports that you may have experienced discrimination, harassment or gender-based violence (behavior prohibited by University Policies) as a part of your educational or work experience at DU, there are several things the Office of Title IX will do.

The Title IX Coordinator will reach out to you for the following purposes:

  • handshake icon

    Make sure you have access to the resources you need on- and off-campus, including resources for confidential support and advocacy, for safety and for other reporting options when they are available;

  • book icon

    Review the University’s policies and procedures for options for impacted parties and resolution of reports including:

  • community icon

    Enact supportive measures that may assist with your safety or security on campus or with your ability to continue your education or employment free from the hostile environment caused by the prohibited behavior;

  • gear icon

    Present options for informal resolution of some concerns (not available in cases of sexual assault). Alternative resolutions allow you to request that the University address the prohibited behavior without an investigation. Possible options include, but are not limited to mediation with the person responsible for the discrimination or harassment, asking that the respondent complete an educational or training requirement, sending a notice letter indicating that a concern was reported and any further reports will result in an investigation;

  • checklist icon

    Review procedures for University investigation of discrimination, harassment, and gender-based violence, including how reports are reviewed and resolution options;

  • lightbulb icon

    Discuss whether you know how you would like to proceed

About the request for a meeting (called an informational meeting):

  • You are not required to participate in the meeting or talk with the Title IX Coordinator.
  • You may bring a support person or adviser to the meeting (and to any other meeting with any Title IX).
  • You are not required to participate in any of the options discussed with you or you may decide to wait and participate in an option at a later time. If you do not participate in any of the options discussed with you, your name will not be shared with other campus administrators unless your personal safety is at risk.

If your concern is appropriate for and you request an alternative resolution, the Title IX Coordinator will assist with arranging it.

If you decide to move forward with a Formal Complaint and investigation, the Title IX Coordinator will refer you to the investigator(s) who will conduct the investigation.

Title IX will always try to respect the wishes of someone who has experienced gender-based discrimination, harassment or violence (impacted party) at DU. In very rare cases, when there are multiple reports about the same respondent or a pattern of reports about the same program, the Title IX Coordinator may determine that the risk to the University community is great enough that an investigation is warranted, even if the impacted party did not request it. In those cases, the impacted party has a right to choose whether or not they will participate in any investigation the University does, and if they do, to what degree.

Responsible Employees

Faculty & Staff Obligations

All University faculty or staff members are responsible employees for reports pursuant to the University's Discrimination and Harassment Policy. This includes housing and residential staff, RAs and RDs, GTAs and GRAs. The only exceptions to this requirement are people directly employed by confidential resources on campus: CAPE or the HCC. A Title IX concern can be received by any DU employee about a student, staff or faculty member. Reportable concerns are typically verbal and informal.

If anyone, including a student, asks to speak to you about something confidential, it is your responsibility to inform them that if it is something about gender-based discrimination, harassment or violence, you are a responsible employee. If they choose not to tell you, it is important to tell them you want them to have someone to speak with, and refer them to a confidential resource on campus. Also, remind them that they will learn about their options and are not required to participate in an investigation. You can also refer them to CAPE or the HCC for support. None of these referrals substitutes for a report to the Office of Equal Opportunity &Title IX.

It is not your responsibility to investigate.

Do not ask for detail the survivor does not readily disclose–through counseling support or the investigation, other will address the details with the survivor.

Be sure to let the survivor know you are reporting and that a staff member from the Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX, such as the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinator, will reach out to them.

Confidential Employee

A confidential employee is someone you can share information with and expect that the information will not be disclosed unless: (1) you give your express written permission; (2) there is a continuing threat of serious harm to you or others; (3) where there is suspected abuse or neglect of a child; or (4) there is a legal obligation to reveal such information. You can speak to a confidential resource without making a report to the University.