One Day to Make a Difference at DU
At a time when our world is upside down and all of us are trying to figure out what our new “normal” is, there is one constant with the University of Denver community: the care we have for one another. Whether it’s on campus or in the communities where we live, we have all witnessed countless examples of caring over the past several months. It is something we also experience every spring with 1Day4DU — the University’s day of giving.
Tuesday, May 20, marks the sixth annual day of giving. 1Day4DU supports and builds awareness for meaningful priorities and projects spanning the entire University to benefit students, faculty, staff and many living in the Denver area.
In response to the realities we face with the global COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s 1Day4DU offers a lineup of mission-critical funding priorities — from the Student Assistance Fund, scholarships and athletics to academic units, research and public good projects. Although there will not be an on-campus celebration for the day of giving, 1Day4DU promises to deliver plenty of impact — and opportunities for caring — through the digital airwaves.
“Now in our sixth year, 1Day4DU has become a tradition at the University of Denver — a day when our campus community and global network of alumni, families and friends come together to support mission-critical priorities,” says Val Otten, senior vice chancellor for Advancement. “This year, amid COVID-19 and its many impacts, 1Day4DU has taken on a particular kind of importance in providing critical resources for our students, including our Student Assistance Fund, scholarships, health and counseling services, and internships, to name a few. This year, more than ever, the day is about our students and supporting them during a time of great need.”
- Susana Cordova (BA ’88), Superintendent — Denver Public Schools
- Rico Munn (JD ’96), Superintendent — Aurora Public Schools
- Cary Kennedy (JD ’97), Senior Advisor for Fiscal Policy — Gov. Jared Polis
- Jon Schlegel (BSBA ’97), Founder — Attimo Winery
You can learn more about the panelists and register to attend by clicking here.
The final way everyone can support the DU community during 1Day4DU is by making a gift to projects falling under these four general categories:
- Student Support: These projects directly impact students as contributions can be made to the Student Assistance Fund, Health and Counseling Center, Athletics and Recreation and more.
- Academic Unit Support: Gifts made to the individual academic units will support the research and scholarship work of DU faculty. Donors can also give to the Lamont School of Music and Newman Center for the Performing Arts.
- Research Support: Donors can support the new Provost’s Innovation Fund, which will feature various COVID-19-related research projects at DU.
- Public Good Support: Gifts will support the Chancellor’s Innovation Fund, which benefits DU’s rich array of public good projects.
Last year, more than 4,300 donors made a gift to one of the crowdfunding efforts featured on 1Day4DU, raising more than $2.4 million. To learn more about the projects included in 1Day4DU and to support an initiative that is close to your heart, please click here.