Event Preparation

The University of Denver hosts hundreds of events each year, and it's our responsibility to ensure those events are conducted safely. Whether this is your first time planning an event or your twentieth, we'll provide you with the information and support you need to identify all the necessary steps and the resources available to help you execute a successful event.

drone view of sunset on campus

What activities require risk assessment?

If your event involves any of the following you should contact Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) for a risk assessment:

  • On-campus large scale event (Homecoming, May Days, etc.)
  • Off-campus large scale event involving outside entities (Race/Case, conferences in which DU is the host; third-party graduation ceremonies, film screenings, etc.)
  • Event requires hiring a third-party event production company using large-scale lights, sound or electrical equipment
  • VIP speakers or others which may require additional security or media attention
  • Organized sporting activities (ropes courses, skiing, inflatable devices, white-water rafting, sailing, etc.)
  • Summer camps involving overnight visits
  • Academic programs involving international travel

ERM does not need to review events if all the following criteria are met:

  1. The event is on campus
  2. Attendees are DU faculty, staff and students
  3. You are using Sodexo, HRTM or Phipps for catering
  4. There is no planned organized physical activity
  5. If you are using a 3rd party caterer/vendor and they're providing the required insurance. See the Insurance Standard Terms & Conditions for additional information.

To expedite your risk assessment, always have the answers to who, what, when, where, and how before contacting ERM. When planning an event consider the risks associated with your event and how to best mitigate those risks. This will help ERM determine the risk exposure associated with your event.

Remember it is ERM’s responsibility to protect the human and physical assets of the University. Some events/activities may not be approved if they have the potential for adverse effects that cannot be mitigated through loss control efforts.

Third-Party Services

  • Vendors

    Whenever you are working with a third party for services (rentals, catering, hotel, transportation) always request a Certificate of Insurance using the COI Request from Third Pary form based on the Insurance Standard Terms & Conditions.

  • Food Trucks

    When inviting food trucks or similar vendors to campus, please remember the University requires the vendor to have proof of insurance including:

    1. General Liability ($1m/$2m) naming DU as an additional insured
    2. Auto ($1m)
    3. Workers' Comp coverage of $1m or statutory limits, if the vendor has any employees
    4. A valid business license
    5. Meeting or exceeding local health regulations: Obtain a copy of the vendor's last health inspection report before contracting with the vendor

    If the food truck is involved in and collecting money as part of a fundraiser, we may require additional coverage.

    If a truck/vendor will be parking on campus, please remember to coordinate with Campus Safety for parking on the sidewalks/fire lanes, and with Parking Services if parking in lots around campus.

    If an open flame is involved, you will need a fire permit. Contact Jeff Simpson with Campus Safety in these situations.

    Coordination with Facilities and Custodial may also be required if the event is large and trash, water or other services will be needed.

    Greek Life: All of these requirements apply if the food truck will be on campus or at any house owned by the University.

    General rules and good practices include:

    • Glass containers should not be used/sold
    • Vendors must store and dispose of the waste they generate
      • For example, oil from fryers, grease from grills, food waste used in production, wash and rinse water
    • Vehicles should be in good working order
      • For example, no oil, transmission, radiator or similar leaks
    • Clean-up can and will be charged to the vendors or the sponsoring group by Facilities, Parking Services, Campus Safety, and/or ERM
    • Food Trucks should be responsible for clean-up of the area around the truck. If they do not, the responsibility will fall to the sponsoring group.