Certificates of Insurance

A Certificate of Insurance ("COI") is a document used to verify an entity is insured. A COI is provided by an insurance broker or insurance company and outlines the types of and limits of insurance carried by the contractor, vendor, or other party. In addition to the types and limits of insurance, the COI lists the name of the agent or broker, the insurer, and the effective dates of the policy.

Request a Certificate of Insurance for a Third Party/Vendor

Outside parties may ask that DU confirm various types and levels of insurance in connection with business agreements. Only members of the DU community can request a COI in the online Certificate request form. Certificates will only be issued if all required information is provided.

If it is a long or ongoing project and renewal COIs will be needed, accurately fill out the dates of the project and the vendor's email address on the request form so that renewal certificates are sent. Renewal COIs will not longer be sent by mail. If the vendor needs an updated COI, the DU staff or faculty member can send a copy of the COI to risk@du.edu and request the renewal certificate to be sent. Please do not request a new COI.

Unless alternative instructions are provided, the Certificate will be sent directly to the Certificate Holder with a copy sent to the requestor.

Request a Certificate of Insurance from a Third Party/Vendor

Outside parties must submit a Certificate of Insurance as evidence of insurance when they:

  • Provide a service for DU
  • Perform work on DU property
  • Perform work on behalf of the University
  • Use DU property

When submitting a contract for any of the activities listed above into the contract review workflow, make sure you attach a copy of the Certificate of Insurance along with your contract.

  • Why require insurance from an outside party, such as a contractor or vendor?

    Insurance is a mechanism to protect the interests of the University. Specifically, insurance provides a mechanism for DU to recover from injury or damage that an outside party is legally obligated to pay. Such obligations could occur if an outside party injures an employee or student, damages DU property, or damages the personal property of an employee or student.

  • What does "Additional Insured" mean?

    When the University of Denver is listed as an additional insured, it means that our interests are protected under the insurance policies purchased by the outside party in regard to the work performed, service provided, product provided, etc. by the outside party. Essentially, it allows us to use the insurance provided by the outside party. DU should always be listed as an additional insured on all general, umbrella, or excess liability policies.

  • What types/limits of insurance should be requested?

    Please see the Request of Insurance from a 3rd Party to determine which insurance is required from your vendor. Then send the completed request to your vendor so they can issue the Certificate according to the University’s guidelines. If you have questions contact Matthew Kowalski.