Skip navigation

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Learn more about the international student admission process.


 How many international students attend DU?

As of fall 2013, there were more than 1400 international students studying at the University of Denver or approximately 11 percent of the total student body.

 Am I an international student?

The University of Denver defines an "international student" as one who will hold a visa while enrolled at DU. This means that the following ARE NOT considered international students: U.S. citizens living abroad; U.S. permanent residents (green-card holders); documented refugees or asylees. The following ARE considered international students: non-U.S. citizens wishing to hold a visa (F-1, J-1, H-1 or any others) while enrolled at DU. This includes visa-holders who have or are attending U.S. schools.

 Where does DU rank among other U.S. colleges/universities?

Currently, U.S. News & World Report ranks the University of Denver 82nd among the nation's top 100 doctoral universities. For more information on rankings, please visit our website

 What is a liberal arts undergraduate degree, and how many years will it take me to earn this degree at DU?

A DU undergraduate degree takes four years to earn. The liberal arts-style degree that students earn includes a combination of foundation and core courses, elective courses and major and minor courses. Foundation courses include English, arts and humanities, social sciences, math and computer sciences and natural sciences. The goal of a liberal arts education at DU is to ensure that our graduates can analyze, synthesize and criticize information across disciplines through their writing and public speaking.

 How will I select my classes after I arrive on campus to begin my studies at DU? Will I have an academic advisor?

During Discoveries (orientation), you will have a chance to meet with an academic advisor who will advise you on course selection. You will register for courses online during Discoveries.

 Can I study intensive English at DU?

Yes. The University of Denver's English Language Center offers comprehensive English language instruction. For more information about the ELC, please visit our website.

 Does DU have International Student Advisors?

Yes. International Student Advisors are available to help with immigration and cultural adjustment issues.

 Does DU have international student orientation?

Yes. Orientation for international students is held quarterly for new international students. For additional information, please visit the International Students and Scholars Services website.

Admission Process

 How can I apply to DU?

You can apply to DU in two ways. First-year students can apply using the Common Application or the DU Pioneer Application. Transfer students may apply using either the Common Application or the Pioneer Application for Transfer Students.

 What are DU's application deadlines?

First-year undergraduate students; please visit our website. Transfer undergraduate students; please visit our website.

 Can international students apply for terms other than fall?

First year applicants may apply for admission for the fall quarter only. Transfer applicants may apply for all quarters on a space-available basis.

Can the application fee be waived/deferred?

No. The application fee of $65 is mandatory. No application will be processed without this mandatory fee.

 Must I declare an academic major/degree before I begin my classes at DU? Can I change my major/degree after I start classes?

The University of Denver does not require undergraduate students to declare a major prior to arriving on campus. Typically, students will declare a major by the end of their second year.

 Can I find out if I'll be admitted to DU before I submit an application?

No. Your application must be submitted and complete before an admission decision can be made. Please refer to our Accepted Student Profile to see the average qualifications of our admitted students.

 When and how will I be notified of an admission decision?

Once your application is complete, you will be notified of an admission decision by email. Original admission documents will be sent to you by express mail along with your I-20.

 Do I need to confirm my plans to attend DU?

Yes. Students need to confirm their intent to enroll at the University of Denver by submitting the International Student Admission Response Form and all applicable deposits by May 1 or the date given in your admission letter.


 Do all documents need to be submitted at the same time?

No. All documents do not need to be submitted at the same time. As soon as your application is received, our office will begin corresponding with you by e-mail regarding any missing documents.

 What documents are required for first-year admission?
 What is considered an official document?

Any document that comes directly from the institution in a sealed envelope is considered official. Students may submit unofficial copies of all documents for an admission decision. Once an admission decision is made, students will be asked to submit official documents from their institutions and order official test scores from testing agencies.

 Can I submit photocopies of my documents?

In most cases, the University of Denver accepts photocopies of documents for an admission decision. We reserve the right to require official documents for an admission decision. If you are admitted to DU, we will ask that official documents be submitted to our office. A transfer credit evaluation cannot be completed until all official documents are submitted.

 Will your office understand the grading scale/transcript from my current/former school?

Yes. All transcripts are evaluated by their country of origin and the institution's grading scale.

Admission Requirements

 Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS for admission?

No. The University of Denver offers English Conditional Admission to undergraduate applicants. This means that any student admitted to the University without the minimum required TOEFL/IELTS score will be asked to attend our English Language Center. Once a student successfully completes Level Five at the University of Denver's English Language Center prior to enrolling in an undergraduate degree program, a TOEFL/IELTS will no longer be required.

 What are DU's TOEFL/IELTS requirements?

For undergraduate international students; please visit our website.

 Do I have to take the SAT?

Only students who have graduated or will graduate from a high school within the United States, a high school within Canada or an American (Including IB) or Canadian school overseas are required to submit an SAT or ACT for an admission decision. Any student wishing to be considered for merit-based scholarships are encouraged to submit an SAT or ACT score. For fall 2017 applicants, we prefer students submit the Redesigned SAT, but we will accept both the old and the Redesigned SAT (and will have a concordance table to help us evaluate the results). For fall 2018, students need to submit the Redesigned SAT. View the SAT Score Converter for further information.

 I need to take SAT/ACT to complete my admission application and wondered how the essay writing section will be used in the final admission decision.

The writing section of the SAT/ACT will be accepted for review but will not be used for admission decision.

 Do I have to take the SAT II?

Applicants to the University of Denver are not required to submit SAT II.

 Does DU accept A Levels, AS Levels, AP or IB credits?

Yes. Once a student is admitted to the University of Denver and we have the official documents we require, we will do a transfer credit evaluation to determine the transferability of these credits. For guidelines on AP/IB score transferability, please visit our website.

Transfer Students

 What documents are required for transfer student admission?

Please refer to our checklist for transfer students.

 I have attended another university/college, but did not do well. Can I apply as a first-year student?

No. If you have attended any post-secondary institution in any country, you must apply as a transfer student.

 Can I transfer credits from another university to DU?

Yes. Once a transfer student has applied and been accepted to DU and official transcripts have been received, a transfer credit evaluation will be done. A grade of C (2.0) or better in each course is required to be considered for transfer of credit. Courses will only transfer into DU from institutions accredited by recognized accrediting agencies. For more information, please visit our website.

 I already have a bachelor's degree. Can I apply for a second one?

Yes. You're welcome to apply as a transfer student to the University of Denver. Students who have already completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution are eligible for transfer credit. Any student seeking a second bachelor degree is not eligible for merit-based scholarships.

 How long after I submit official transcripts to your office can I expect to receive a transfer credit evaluation?

A transfer credit evaluation is typically completed at least four weeks before students register for courses.


 What scholarships are available for international students?
 Does DU offer full tuition scholarships for international students?

The University of Denver does not offer any full tuition scholarships for international students.

 How can I apply for scholarships?

All undergraduate applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships and there is no special form to complete.

 Does my opportunity for scholarships increase once I begin at DU?

Your application will be reviewed for merit-based scholarships when you apply to DU. These merit-based scholarships will remain the same for the duration of your degree. There is essentially no opportunity for additional scholarships later in your degree program, though individual departments may award small amounts of scholarship.

 Am I eligible for an athletic scholarship?

The Office of International Student Admission does not award athletic scholarships. If a student is interested in an athletic scholarship, they must contact the coach of their sport directly. For more information on athletics at the University of Denver, please visit our athletics website. As an NCAA Division One athletic institution, athletic scholarships are very competitive.

 Can I work while I am studying in the US?

International students are eligible to work on campus up to twenty (20) hours per week. On campus jobs can only be arranged once a student has arrived on campus. On campus jobs are not guaranteed.

 Are there any financial loans to help international students study at DU?

Unfortunately, the University of Denver does not provide loans to international students.

 Do I pay my tuition and housing costs before I begin my study at DU?

Tuition and housing costs are not paid prior to arrival on campus, though prior payment of deposits are required for both. Once a student registers for courses during Discoveries, a tuition and housing bill will be generated. Payments may be made in several ways. For a complete list of payment options, please visit our Bursar's website.

 When do I need to submit financial verification?

In order to complete their application and receive an admission decision, students must present official documentation certifying their ability to pay their educational expenses.


 What is an I-20?

An I-20 form is the official government document which certifies that a person is eligible to apply for an F-1 student visa on behalf of the University of Denver. This form is not automatically generated for non-immigrants. It is issued once students are accepted to a full-time program and show that they have enough financial resources to cover one year of academic study. The I-20 is then used to apply for an F-1 visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

 How do I get an I-20?

You must first apply and be admitted to the University of Denver. The Office of International Student Admission will then collect the required documents and work with International Student and Scholar Services on your I-20. Financial verification should come in the form of an original bank letter on bank letterhead stating that funds are available in the amount of at least the I-20 cost which can be found on our website, any scholarships you are awarded may be subtracted from this amount.

 When will I receive my I-20?

Once you have been admitted or English Conditionally Admitted to the University of Denver and have submitted proper financial verification, an I-20 will be issued. Undergraduates will be notified of the shipping process once their I-20 has been processed.

 What is an F-1 Student Visa?

The F1 student visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows international students to enter into the U.S. to attend a full course of study at colleges, universities and language training programs.

 How do I get an F-1 student visa?

Please refer to our website