Transfer Applicants

Start down a new path

We welcome around 200 transfer students to our campus every year, including international students. Diverse perspectives and global-minded thinkers are part of what makes the University of Denver such a dynamic place to live and study. We are committed to offering opportunities for growth and support that can help make you an important contributor to our campus community.

If you have already completed some higher-education classes and have graduated from secondary school, we hope you will consider making DU your new home.

Download an application checklist here, and read more about our transfer guidelines here. If you have questions about any part of the process, please email us at

Application Checklist

Submit Your Application

Choose your deadline

We review transfer applications on a rolling basis, but there are set deadlines for each quarter of study:

  1. Fall Quarter: April 1 priority deadline, July 1 final deadline
  2. Winter Quarter: October 15
  3. Spring Quarter: February 1 (limited space; applications are considered on a case-by-case basis)
  4. Summer Quarter: May 1

Fill out your application

  1. We accept both the Transfer Pioneer Application and the Transfer Common Application. You only need to submit one application, and we review each application type equally.

Submit the application fee

  1. The application requires a $65 application fee.
    • To pay online, please log back into your Common Application or Pioneer Application account.
    • You can also pay by U.S. check or money order, made out to the University of Denver and mailed to Undergraduate Admission.
    • If you're facing financial hardship, you can apply for a fee waiver. These are granted on a case-by-case basis and require a school official to verify that paying the application fee would be a burden on you and your family. To apply for a fee waiver, fill out the top part of the fee waiver form. Next, have your school official (counselor, teacher, principal, etc.) fill out the bottom part and send it to our office via e-mail at
    • For applicants inside the US, we may accept additional fee waivers from reputable sources like NACAC.

Submit Your Supporting Materials

Submit your test scores

If you are over the age of 24 or have completed more than 30 transferable semester credits (45 quarter credits), you are not required to submit test scores.

  1. If you have completed or will complete a U.S.- or Canadian-style secondary or high school program (including International Baccalaureate [IB] and Advanced Placement [AP]) either in the United States, Canada or overseas, we encourage you to submit the SAT and/or ACT standardized tests if you think your scores are an accurate representation of your ability. If you ultimately think that your test scores do not represent your abilities and potential, feel free to choose our test-optional process. Please be sure to review exceptions on this site.
  2. We understand the unique challenges this year in terms of scheduling and taking the ACT and/or SAT. If for any reason you have chosen not to take one of these tests this year, or have been unable to test due to cancellations, you may opt for the test-optional path. Please know your application will not be penalized in any way, and you will receive full consideration for both admission and merit scholarships. If you have a test score to submit and you believe your scores are an accurate representation of your ability, please send them our way – we will consider them along with all other materials in your application file.
  3. If you choose to include a test score, we require scores from either the SAT or the ACT. You are free to submit both, but this is not required. Students seeking merit scholarships are encouraged to send test scores. Test optional applicants will be considered for merit scholarships.
  4. Submit your test scores via College Board or ACT using the following codes:
    1. SAT Code: 4842
    2. ACT Code: 0534
  5. We do not consider subject test or writing sections.
  6. Super score: If you’ve taken either test more than once, we will combine the best sub-scores to create your best possible composite result.
  7. If you receive an application fee waiver, you have the option to upload ACT and/or SAT test scores to your application status page. Simply log into your account to choose the "Student Submitted Test Score" material upload type and send your official test scores through our site. You may also email us at Once we verify the score report, we will complete the test score requirement for your application. Please note this process may take 24-48 hours to complete.

Send your transcript

  1. Send your transcripts for your completed higher education coursework. These must be sent directly from your schools in separate sealed envelopes to our International Student Admission office.
    • We require you to include certified English translations if your transcript is in a different language.
    • Your school representatives can send your transcript electronically through Naviance, SendEDU or the Common Application.
  2. If you have completed less than 30 transferable semester credits (45 quarter credits), you must send transcripts from your secondary/high schools.

Alternatively, your school representatives can mail your transcript to this address:
International Student Admission
University of Denver
University Hall
2197 S. University Blvd.
Denver, CO 80208-9401

Optional Materials

  1. You may submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher or school counselor. If possible, please make sure these letters include information on your class rank and other helpful academic measurements.
  2. School representatives can use DU’s Pioneer Application Counselor Recommendation, the Common Application Secondary School Report, the NACAC form or a personal letter.
  3. You are welcome to submit additional letters from those that know you best and can speak to your academic abilities and personal qualities (a teacher, a coach, etc.). These letters are optional.
  4. You can also create a ZeeMee profile (a free service designed to help students bring their application to life by highlighting your personal story via photos, videos and text). Simply copy and paste your ZeeMee link into your University of Denver application.

Additional Steps

English Proficiency Requirements

  1. If you have already completed at least 30 semester credits from an English-speaking school, you are exempt from these testing requirements. Likewise, if you earn a C or better on English 121 AND English 122, you are exempt from TOEFL and IELTS testing requirements.
  2. We accept scores from one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
    1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
    2. IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
    3. CAE (Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English)
  3. Please ensure you send your test scores at least one month before enrollment.
  4. English Conditional Admission: Are you worried about meeting our English proficiency requirement? You can still be accepted to the University through English Conditional Admission. If you are accepted through English Conditional Admission, you will be required to study at our English Language Center full time until you have successfully completed the LAUNCH Curriculum.
  5. For more information, visit our English Proficiency page.


You have the option to complete an interview after submitting a successful English proficiency score. This helps us better evaluate your English proficiency and learn more about you as a student and as a person. We believe in a whole-person approach to admission decisions, and we want to know as much about you as we can. You can choose from two options for completing your interview:

  1. Vericant
  2. InitialView

Check your application status

You can use our online tool to check the status of your application.

Pay your deposit

If you have been accepted to DU and plan to enroll, submit your deposit online to confirm your spot.

Submit your deposit

Extra Steps

  • Students over 24 years old

    If you're 24 or older and you've completed some college coursework, you can use the transfer version of either the Pioneer Application or the Common Application. You also have the option of submitting a letter of recommendation from an employer.

  • Returning student

    If you were a DU student and left before completing your degree and you have been away from DU for more than 5 years, you will need to apply as a transfer student, even if you have not taken additional courses elsewhere. If you are within the 5-year period, you will work with Academic Advising as a Reentry Student. In addition, please email us at to give permission to view your student record.

    Academic Advising

  • Music majors

    The Lamont School of Music requires students intending to major in music to submit a supplemental application. You'll receive information about this requirement once your Pioneer or Common Application has been submitted.

    There is also an audition requirement for music majors at Lamont, which you'll need to complete before your application can be considered. Contact for more information.

  • Art/design majors

    If you are applying to a BFA program, you must submit a portfolio. Contact the Art Department if you have questions.

  • Business majors

    For entrance into the Daniels College of Business, you'll initially be reviewed for admission to the University based upon all application materials. If admitted, you'll then be considered for direct admission to Daniels based upon the submission of a professional resume highlighting your unique strengths and accomplishments, as well as the successful completion of the following prerequisite coursework: Calculus, English Composition 1 and 2, Macro Economics and Statistics

    If you're not admitted directly into Daniels, you'll work with business advisors once at DU to submit a secondary application to Daniels upon successful completion of designated prerequisite courses and professional development requirements.

  • Fee Waivers

    If you are facing financial hardship, you can apply for a fee waiver. These are granted on a case-by-case basis and require a school official to verify that paying the application fee would be a burden on you and your family.

    To apply for a fee waiver:

    1. Fill out the top part of the fee waiver form.
    2. Next, have your school official (counselor, teacher, principal, etc.) fill out the bottom part and send it to our office via e-mail at
    3. For applicants inside the US, we may accept additional fee waivers from reputable sources like NACAC.
CTA Background

International student transfer guidelines

Download a printable version of our transfer guidelines



Office of International Student & Scholar Services

English Proficiency Assessment Contacts

TOEFL (School Code: 4842)