Insurance Abroad

Proper insurance coverage helps ensure that you'll be covered in the event of a travel emergency. That is why DU is proud to offer all students, faculty, and staff on international DU  travel, coverage under one comprehensive accident, sickness, and emergency care insurance plan at no cost to them and with no need to enroll. Highlights of the plan are $0 deductible, no out-of-pocket expenses, and includes travel insurance benefits such as lost luggage and trip interruption. This plan works in tandem with International SOS so, there's only one number to remember for insurance and assistance. All assistance services and insurance benefits are initiated by calling International SOS at +1 215-942-8478 or via the International SOS Assistance app.


  • Who is eligible for coverage?

    All registered faculty, staff, and students who are traveling internationally on DU-travel as well as any dependents (i.e., spouse, legal domestic partner, dependent children under 26) traveling with them. 

  • What are the highlights of the plan?
    • Coverage for up to 365 days of travel abroad
    • Out of country medical for injury or sickness: $500,000
    • Deductible: $0
    • Mental nervous disorder: up to medical maximum
    • Dental (injury or alleviation of pain): $1,000
    • Security, or natural disaster evacuation: $500,000
    • Emergency medical evacuation: 100% of expenses incurred
    • Repatriation of remains: 100% of actual expenses incurred
    • Baggage delay: $500 
    • Trip interruption: $5,000
    • 14-day sojourn travel before, during, or after DU-travel
    • Coverage of dependents traveling with a DU-traveler on DU-travel
    • Coordination with International ISO who provides medical referrals, medical monitoring, claims filing, etc.

    *Note: some of benefits (e.g., Baggage delay) are paid on a reimbursable basis and subject to certain conditions.

  • How do I use the plan if needed?

    Just call International SOS' Assistance Center at +1 215-942-8478 or connect with them via the International SOS app and reference our membership number- 11BSGC000067. International SOS can provide you with a medical referral and then monitor the progress while working directly with the treating facility to manage all billing and claims.

  • Does this plan cover routine care?

    No. This plan covers urgent and emergent incidents that occur while on DU-travel. These occur suddenly and unexpectedly during travel abroad. However, that can be anything from an upset stomach after eating new foods to hospitalization after a vehicle accident. The injury or illness must occur while on DU-travel.

  • Are there some types of illness or injury that are not covered?

    The following exclusions apply to both the International SOS Plan and the University's Evacuation and Repatriation Expense policy. This is only a general overview. The specific policy terms and applicable law – not this overview – apply to any particular incident. If you are injured or need assistance while engaging in any of the following activities while traveling abroad, you will not be entitled to benefits under the International SOS membership:

    • Skydiving, hang gliding, parachuting, mountaineering (does not apply to school sponsored trips), any motorized speed race, bungee jumping, speed contests, spelunking or caving, heli-skiing, or extreme skiing, scuba diving, white water rafting.
    • Participation in any war, invasion, revolution, or insurrection
    • Piloting or learning to pilot or acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft
    • Commission or the attempt to commit a criminal act
    • Any non-emergency treatment or surgery, routine physical examinations, hearing aids, eyeglasses, or contact lenses
  • Does this policy cover personal property?

    Traveler personal property is not covered by University insurance. Travelers should ensure that homeowners or renter’s insurance covers personal property, or purchase additional coverage appropriate to their needs and location. In addition, there is always the potential of a claim that is not covered by University insurance that could create personal exposure for a traveler – for instance, activities outside the scope of duties as a University employee, violation of University policies and willful acts and crimes. A personal homeowners and umbrella liability policy can often provide protection when involved with non-University activities. Travelers should contact their personal insurer for specific details.

  • When is emergency evacuation triggered?

    An emergency political/security/natural disaster evacuation may be triggered when a traveler is in imminent danger. Insured evacuation decisions are made at the discretion of International SOS, in consultation with the insurance provider, interested governments, DU, and the traveler. Simply wanting to leave because a traveler feels unsafe is not a covered evacuation.

    A medical evacuation is triggered when a traveler is injured or ill and cannot receive the care they need at their current location. This must be designated medically necessary and includes transportation to the nearest facility capable of providing adequate care, not necessarily back to the U.S.

For a comprehensive list of FAQs, please see this document: 

Other Insurance Considerations

  • Life Insurance

    With some life insurance plans, exclusions may apply for any countries or regions with an active U.S. Department of State Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory or in war-torn areas. To ensure you have adequate coverage, travelers should contact their insurance carrier for specific details.

  • Workers' Compensation

    Only University employees acting within the scope of essential duties and injured while on the job traveling abroad are covered under the University’s workers' compensation insurance. However, this coverage expires after an employee is out of the state of Colorado for six months or more. Coverage can be extended if the University files a request with the State of Colorado before the expiration of the six-month period.

    Under Colorado law, students participating in internships are also covered by the University’s workers' compensation insurance, so long as the University sponsors the internship, and the student is taught through a coordinated combination of specialized in-school instruction and on-the-job training provided through a local business, agency or organization, or any governmental agency in cooperation with the University. This coverage is also subject to the six-month rule discussed above.

  • University Employee Coverages

    University employees also have coverage under the following policies while traveling internationally, including the requirement that injuries to another caused by an employee occur accidentally while the employee is engaged in activities related to University business:

    • Business travel accidental death and dismemberment – up to $50,000 in coverage and $10,000 in medical expenses
    • General liability – up to $1 million in coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others
    • Foreign liability – up to $2 million in coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others
    • Excess liability – up to $100 million in additional coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others

    Any incidents potentially covered under these policies must be reported within twenty-four hours of the incident to Campus Safety at 1-303-871-3000 and Enterprise Risk Management at 1-303-871-3810.