Subagreements & Consultation Agreements

If interested in seeking outside services for your project as a subrecipient or consultant, first check with ORSP for allowability if initially not budgeted or requested in the proposal.

Please review the Determination Sheet to confirm the appropriate relationship for the proposed outside services. If a subrecipient relationship is deemed appropriate, a Subrecipient Commitment Form must be submitted to ORSP at the proposal stage. This must be completed by the subrecipient and is required under Uniform Guidance.

  • Request for Subagreement

    Once your grant has been awarded and set up, a Request to Draft Subagreement form must be completed and submitted to ORSP in order for ORSP to issue a subagreement. The agreement must be issued by ORSP prior to your subrecipient beginning work on your project.

    • Answer all fields on form.
    • Include the Statement of Work, budget and budget justification if not included in the proposal or if there have been any changes since awarded.
    • PI and authorized departmental signature are required where indicated at the bottom of the form.
      • Authorized departmental personnel may vary by each department. Most often this is the department administrator but may change depending on job duties. This is someone who is authorized to make/approve budgetary decisions for grants.
    • Forward the completed form and any attachments to the ORSP Subs mailbox,
  • Subagreement Process
    • Once the Request for Draft Subagreement is received by the ORSP, the formal Subagreement is prepared and forwarded to the subrecipient for signature. A copy is also sent to the PI.
    • Subrecipient returns both copies of signed agreements to ORSP.
    • ORSP obtains authorized signature on behalf of the University of Denver.
    • One fully signed copy is kept for subrecipient file, and the other is sent to the subrecipient to keep for their records.
    • When invoices are submitted, the subrecipient name on the invoice must match the subrecipient name listed on the subagreement.
  • Subagreement Amendment Process
    • In order to meet subrecipient monitoring requirements, ORSP can only issue subagreements on a yearly basis, requiring an amendment to make changes to the agreement.
    • If an amendment is needed, the Request to Amend Subagreement form must be completed and submitted to ORSP can accept either PI or departmental signature for amendment requests.
    • The second page of the form is a Subrecipient Monitoring Record and it must be completed if not previously provided. This must be completed in compliance with the Subrecipient Monitoring Requirements set by ORSP in the Subrecipient Monitoring Notice. To remain up to date with audit requirements, ORSP now requires the monitoring record be submitted yearly at a minimum
    • An amendment cannot be issued until the basic monitoring requirements are met. See the Subrecipient Monitoring Policy tab for more information on ORSP's subrecipient monitoring process.
  • Consulting Agreements Process
    • If a consulting agreement is needed, complete and submit a Request to Draft Consulting Agreement form to
    • Answer all fields on form.
    • Include the Description of Work and Consultant Budget/Rate of Pay.
    • To amend a consulting agreement, complete the Request to Amend Consulting Agreement form. Monitoring requirements are not applicable to consulting agreements.
  • Forms