Equipment & Property
Commitments to match funds from external sponsors for the purpose of purchasing equipment may be made by the Department Chair, the Dean, the Senior Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Education, or a university employee who has fiscal responsibility for university non-restricted funds. Such commitments are considered cost-sharing. Authorization from these individuals is required prior to proposing any commitments, and these individuals will need to consider such commitments in their budget planning processes.
Equipment Matching Policy
Commitments to match funds from external sponsors for the purpose of purchasing equipment may be made by the Department Chair, the Dean, the Vice Provost for Research or a university employee who has fiscal responsibility for university non-restricted funds. Such commitments are considered cost-sharing. Authorization from these individuals is required prior to proposing any commitments, and these individuals will need to consider such commitments in their budget planning processes.
- When a proposal is prepared, the PI shall work with ORSP to identify cost-shared expenses.
- If a match for equipment is required, the PI shall obtain commitments from the Department Chair, Dean and/or the Vice Provost for Research. Commitments shall be indicated on the ORSP Proposal Review & Approval (PRA) Form by noting the amount, fund/org, expected fiscal year of expense and signature.
- The Director of ORSP shall track and report such commitments to the Vice Provost for Research as requested.
- Upon award of grant, ORSP shall communicate to the PI and Department Administrator the amount that is reserved for match and the fiscal year. The PI/Department Administrator shall confirm expected purchase(s) by indicating the DU purchase order number(s) and returning to ORSP.
- The equipment shall be purchased from departmental funds.
- The department shall submit invoice(s) that have been paid to the ORSP Director for reimbursement to their department fund/org.
- The ORSP Director shall notify the Controller’s Office to make the appropriate budget transfer and shall report on equipment matching transaction activity to the Vice Provost for Research.
Roles & Responsibilities
Principal Investigators are responsible for:
- Obtaining approval for matching commitments from the persons responsible for providing the funds
- Making the equipment purchase through his/her Department Administrator
Dean/Department Chair/Vice Provost for Research shall approve/disapprove the use of their departmental/division non-restricted funds for equipment match purposes. Such decisions need to be considered in budget planning processes.
- Processes requests for equipment purchases as approved by PI / Department Chair / Dean
- Submits invoice(s) that have been paid against departmental funds to the ORSP Director for reimbursement of matching funds committed by the Vice Provost for Research
Office of Research & Sponsored Programs (ORSP)
- Works with PI to identify matching commitments needed for grant proposal
- Assures that each commitment is approved by the appropriate person (ie, Department Chair, Dean, and/or Vice Provost for Research)
- Communicates instructions to PI and Department Administrator when award is received
- Tracks and report cost-sharing commitments to the Vice Provost for Research
- Obtains VPR authorization for budget transfers to cover reimbursements to departments
- Communicates authorizations to Controller’s Office.
The Controller's Office shall input budget transfers for reimbursement of equipment purchases as authorized by the Vice Provost for Research.