Skip navigation

First Year and Transfer Student Registration


First Year and Transfer Student FAQs

General Advising FAQs

I'm worried about coming into DU undeclared. Is it okay?

Yes, one of the best things about DU is the ability to explore different disciplines! If you are considering Engineering or Science majors, make sure to follow those course plans until you have selected your major. Plan to declare your major prior to Spring quarter of your second year and definitely before studying abroad. Take your first year to meet with a career advisor and have informational meetings with different faculty in various disciplines to learn more about the majors and minors offered.

Every quarter, we offer an optional 2-credit course CNP 1200 course for students unsure of their academic and/or career direction. This course will help you explore your interests, skills, and values in relation to the world of work. If you have questions about registration or how this course will fit into your degree plan email 

What will I do if I cannot get into any of my major classes? Will I fall behind?

You will not fall behind. As a first-year student, focus on the common curriculum requirements.

What if I have AP/IB credit?

If you did not already do so, you will need to have CollegeBoard send your AP scores or the International Baccalaureate send your IB Scores to DU code 4842. The Registrar's office will take care of transferring in that credit. It will show up automatically on your degree audit with the appropriate Common Curriculum credit, and it will also appear in your major if it's relevant. Find out more information about AP/IB credit at "Transfer & AP/ IB Credit" tab.

Are there mandatory courses I should take my first quarter?

Every first-year student must take an FSEM their first quarter. Beyond your FSEM course, please consult the course guides in the "Sample Course Plans" tab for specific information pertaining to your degree.

Who is my advisor?

Over the summer, all incoming students are assigned a staff academic advisor or academic program advisor to support them with selecting their first fall quarter classes. Academic Advisors send incoming students an email invitation for advising in early May.  If you didn’t receive an email, please email to get connected. 

First-Year students are required to enroll in a First-Year seminar (FSEM) for the fall and the instructor teaching their selected FSEM serves as their faculty mentor and primary advisor during their first year at DU. 

Please email if you have additional questions. 

When can I meet with an advisor?

During Discoveries Welcome Week (new student orientation) you will also have time to review your course selection with your First-Year Seminar instructor who will serve as your primary advising support in your first year. Both Staff Academic Advisors and your First-Year Seminar instructor will review your schedule in August and contact you if there are concerns regarding your fall schedule.

If you have a questions regarding fall course registration not addressed in the Advising Videos or on our New Student Registration website please email or call us at 303-871-2455.

How will I know if there are any issues with my schedule?

Don't worry about making a mistake in your course selection, during August both Staff Academic Advisors and your First-Year Seminar instructor will review your schedule and contact you via email if there are any concerns. During Discoveries Welcome Week you will also have time to review your course selection with your First-Year Seminar instructor.

What is a Double Major/Dual degree?

A "Double Major'' is a student who plans to receive a single degree (e.g. Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science), but who will complete all requirements for two majors. Degree options may only be available to specific majors. For instance, students can pursue either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science in Psychology while Philosophy only offers a Bachelor of Arts degree. Students with a double major will be awarded a single baccalaureate degree, with two majors listed on a single diploma.

Double Major Example: Bachelor of Science in Biology and Psychology

A "Secondary Major" offers the option of studying two majors from two different degree programs (e.g. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science). In this case the student will be awarded a single baccalaureate degree, with only the primary major listed on a single diploma. The academic transcript will reflect that the student earned a secondary major.

Secondary Major Examples:

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a primary Marketing major and a secondary major in Communication.

Bachelor of Science with a primary Computer Science major and a secondary major in Philosophy.

Alternately, when a double major or secondary major is not an option a student may complete a "Concurrent Degree". This requires the student to obtain a minimum of 228 credits and complete all degree/major requirements for both areas of study. In this case the student is awarded two separate baccalaureate degrees and two separate diplomas.

DU offers "dual degree" programs that allow students to earn a baccalaureate degree, plus a master's degree, in five years. Many combinations of degrees are possible. There are currently dual-degree programs available in art history, business, computer science, education, engineering, geographic information systems, natural sciences, public policy, psychology, and social work. Students interested in a dual- undergraduate/graduate degree program should contact their graduate school of interest as early in their undergraduate program as possible for advising and information on admission. Students start coursework for the graduate program in their third or fourth year, depending on the program.

Academic College Advising FAQs

Can I add a new major or double major?

Yes! Declaring a new major is easy. Lots of our students also double major, double minor, or even do both. For a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree, you need 183 credits, and majors are typically 40-44 credits, so there's plenty of space in the curriculum for you to try different things. Some degrees such as a Bachelor of Science have stricter course sequences, it's a good idea to prioritize their requirements when planning your schedule.

What happens if the introductory course in my major is full?

No problem! You can take the course later in the year, or even in your second year, and still graduate on time. For many of our majors, there are several different options that will count as the introductory course and also fulfill Common Curriculum requirements. In the meantime, you can take other Common Curriculum courses, courses for your minor, or electives. This is a great time to try out a new subject that you might not have been exposed to before.

Lamont School of Music
I've completed the separate application and audition process for admission as a Music major. Where can I find more Music resources related to advising and registration?

Admitted students with a declared major in Music should have access to the Lamont tab in PioneerWeb. If you do not have access to the Lamont tab, please e-mail Rachel Lim, academic advisor for the Lamont School of Music.

I want to pursue a major or minor in Music, but I haven't auditioned yet. What should I do?

Please review the audition requirements for your performance area and contact the Lamont Admissions Office. Music majors take mostly Music classes in year 1, so it's important to have your major declared before the fall quarter starts so you can stay on track for graduation. If you are interested in a minor in Music, you can wait to audition until after the fall quarter begins; the minor requires 23 credits of coursework that can be distributed across two years or more.

I want to incorporate Music into my undergraduate experience, but I don't want to pursue a major or minor in Music. What opportunities exist for me?

Please visit this page for information about elective lessons taught by graduate teaching assistants, ensemble auditions, or Music classes offered for Analytical Inquiry: Society and Culture credit in the Common Curriculum.

I'm not sure which specific business major I want to pursue. Is that okay?

Yes. All students pursuing a business degree will be required to complete a group of foundational business courses, called the "Business Core". The Business Core includes classes from various subject-areas such as Accounting, Finance, Business Analytics, Marketing, Management, etc. Because all business students will be completing a majority of these courses during first and second-year, the Business Core provides students ample time to explore different areas of business before committing to a specific major.

I think I may want to pursue a business degree, but I'm not sure. Can I take a few business courses before deciding?

Yes. We recommend taking courses such as BUS 1440 (The Fourth Industrial Revolution)—our introductory business course—and/or INFO 1010 (Analytics I: Data & Analysis). These courses can help students decide if a business degree is an appropriate field-of-study for them. Then, if a student decides he/she does not want to pursue a full business degree, the credits could still be applied toward potential business minors or as electives.

What is the difference between my FSEM advisor and my business advisor?

All incoming, first-time (i.e., non-transfer) students will take the First-Year Seminar (FSEM) course in Fall. Your instructor for this course will serve as your academic advisor for the entire first-year, meeting with you to discuss course planning and clearing you to register. The group of business advisors in Daniels Undergraduate Programs can also serve as a resource during your first-year—helping build long-term graduation plans and answering questions about the business curriculum, in general. Then, beginning in second-year, your business advisor becomes your primary academic advising contact and clears you to register!

Does it matter what order I take the three core classes, INTS 1500, INTS 1700 and INTS 2975?

You can take INTS 1500 and INTS 1700 in any order you'd like. INTS 1500 and 1700 are prerequisites to INTS 2975 and all 3,000 level courses. Once you have completed INTS 1500 and 1700 you can enroll in INTS 2975 and any 3,000 level international studies courses.

We recommend completing INTS 2975 as early as you can your program because it provides valuable information that can help you succeed in your other courses, but it can be taken at any time.

How do I complete the two-year foreign language requirement for the International Studies major?

The International Studies program requires successful completion of the final course of the intermediate sequence language course (usually 2003, but for Arabic it is 2100 and Italian is 2005). Generally, this means students will complete 1001, 1002, and 1003 levels of their selected langue in their first year, and 2001, 2002, and 2003 levels in their second year. However, if you have studied a foreign language in high school you should take the language placement test to determine which level you can be placed in to. This means if you take a placement test and are placed into a 2001 level class, you only have to complete the 2001, 2002 and 2003 level courses, not a full two years.

How do I know which courses count toward my specialization?

Each quarter we post the course schedules, with specializations listed, in our BAINTS Portfolio page. We also post course descriptions here.

Does it matter what order I take the required Public Policy courses?

No, you can take the courses in any order. The required courses are currently offered in winter and spring, and there are a few that are offered every other year, so you'll want to work with a PPOL advisor to make sure you know when those will be offered during your time at DU.

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) degree?

Generally, a BS degree has more requirements within and related to a science major. A BA degree allows for more breadth of study. For example, a BS requires students to have two minors and one of those must be in a science. Check the bulletin for more information.

I have AP credit in my major, what class should I take?

Please consult for credit equivalences. Generally, the introductory courses in mathematics and sciences are sequenced. So usually if a student has credit for a course in that sequence they will take the next course in the sequence once it is available. For more specific information contact your major department.

Who should I contact with advising questions about a science or math major?

The best place to start is usually the assistant to the chair in the department where your major is housed. Contact information for all of these individuals can be found at

What if I already have credit for Calculus 1?

We suggest taking Calculus II (MATH 1952) or a UCC course for the fall.

What if I already have credit for Calculus 1 but I would still take it?

Yes, you can take Calculus 1 again if you would like, however the credits will not be double counted.

What if I am not ready to take Calculus 1?

We highly encourage all first-year Computer Science students interested in the BS and all engineering students to register for Calculus 1 fall quarter. If you are truly not prepared, you can take MATH 1070 - College Algebra and Trigonometry. In order to stay on track engineering students must be enrolled in Calculus 1 during the winter quarter.

What if I would like to explore another major in addition to computer science or engineering?

For Computer Science, the only courses needed specifically for fall quarter is COMP 1671 and COMP 1601. The rest of your schedule is flexible to take courses from other departments, however we do highly encourage MATH 1951 if you are interested in a BS.
For engineering, If you would like to take a different course than those listed, Chemistry is the easiest to take later. In order to stay on track all others should be taken during fall quarter.

What if I already have credit for COMP 1671 or other CS courses? What if I already have chemistry credit for engineering?

If you already have credit for previous computer science experience, we suggest you next the next course in the series. This may be COMP 1672 or COMP 2637 depending on the credits awarded. If you are an engineering student and already have credit for chemistry, it is suggested you take a UCC course.

What major should I choose (is best) for pre-health?

While a majority of students are majors in the College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics (especially Biological Sciences), pre-health students represent more than 34 majors across campus (for example, Psychology, Business, International Studies, Sociology, Music and Engineering). We do not have a pre-med or pre-health major and that is intentional. We encourage you to major in any discipline about which you are passionate (we will help you incorporate the pre-health coursework you need).

What classes should I take in my first year at DU?

For most pre-health career paths, at least one year of chemistry is required. Furthermore, for many professional schools, 2 ½ years of chemistry is necessary. These courses are sequential; thus, we advise you register for CHEM1010 General Chemistry 1 and CHEM1240 Gen Chem 1 lab for the fall quarter of your first year. If you are not a science major, you will need an override to register- please contact the instructor of the course (and lab) or the Chemistry department to request an override.

What should I do in my first year and how do I get involved?

You will receive lots of information during the group Pre-Health Advising session for all 1st year students in the second week of classes. We will begin to map out a 4-year plan. In general, during your first year, you should:

  • Make a general curriculum plan
  • Develop study skills
  • Focus on your transition to college and your coursework
  • Start building your 'resume'
  • Engage in self-assessment

But most important... don't stress! Just keep engaged!

For more information:
Visit the Pre-Health Advising portfolio website (login with your DU ID & password)
Or contact Pre-Health Advising
Phone: 303-871-3661

The Honors Program
Can all majors participate?

Students in every major participate in the Honors Program. Our courses
meet liberal arts requirements that all DU students must fulfill. Students
also pursue distinction in the major they choose. Thus they get an honors
experience in their major and in the common curriculum.

What are the benefits of participating in the Honors Program?

Besides the courses, which meet DU requirements in small, discussion-based,
honors only classes, honors students have priority registration, the opportunity
to participate in special programming and to receive Special Honors Funding
for academic research and projects. They are part of a diverse community of
interesting and supportive students and faculty.

Are honors students separated from the rest of the student body?

The Honors Program is integrated in the university. Students in the Honors
Program participate in all aspects of campus life. They double major, study abroad,
and most of their major/minor and other classes are not in the program

Registration FAQs

When do I register for classes and what is a registration time ticket?

Your registration time ticket is the time and date when you can begin to register for classes for a given quarter. You can find your time ticket by logging into PioneerWeb. Log in and navigate to your Student tab > Advising and Registration Tools > Registration (opens a new window) > Prepare for Registration > Select your next term (e.g. Autumn Quarter 2021 in the drop down > Continue > Your registration time ticket will be displayed.

Do I get to choose which classes I register for?

Yes, you get to select your classes. However, every first year student is required to register for an FSEM during their first quarter and some majors, such as Engineering, Chemistry and Music, have required courses. Consult your degree plan in the DU bulletin for course information by degree.

What must I do before I register for classes?

Students must submit their immunization forms, complete any necessary assessment tests and agree to DU's billing policies on PioneerWeb prior to registration. Please consult the "Action Items & Important Dates"  for a full list of requirements.

How do I know which classes to take?

Please refer to the "Sample Course Plans" for suggested schedule information based on your major. If you are transferring in credit (including AP and IB), refer to the Transfer and AP/IB Credit tab to learn what classes you will or already have received credit for.

Who do I contact to change my major?

Students can email the Office of the Registrar at and can see a list of majors and minors here, however, some majors require a secondary admission process. We recommend students submit major changes before late-June, 2021.

What if I don't know or forgot my major?

Log in to PioneerWeb and navigate to your Student tab > Advising and Registration Tools > My Student Profile > and on the right hand side of the page under primary you can view your degree, program, college, department and major.

I am an undeclared major, what classes should I take?

Please see the undeclared schedule option on the Sample Course Plans tab

Can I change my schedule after I have registered for classes?

Yes, although not recommended for your first quarter, you can change your schedule through the first week of classes.

Do I need to speak with an advisor before fall quarter registration?

Over the summer, all incoming students are assigned a staff academic advisor or academic program advisor to support them with selecting their first fall quarter classes. Academic Advisors send incoming students an email invitation for advising in early May.  If you didn’t receive an email, please email to get connected. 

How do I confirm I have registered for classes?

Log in to PioneerWeb and navigate to your student tab. On the left hand side of the webpage select the term in the dropdown menu for which you registered, after selecting the appropriate term (e.g. Autumn Quarter 2021), you will see your schedule.

Can I register for classes early?

No. Registration will occur the week of July 19 – July 23, and early registration is unavailable.

How do I add a second major or a minor?

Although not recommended for a new student's first quarter, students can email the Office of the Registrar at and can see a list of majors and minors here, however, some majors require a secondary admission process.

What if two classes I want meet at conflicting times?

Unfortunately, you cannot register for two classes at the same time. If two classes meet at the same time, evaluate which is more important for your degree and register for that course.

Will additional course spots open later in the summer?

Please do not rely on additional seats opening later in the summer. As other students drop classes, spots may open, however, new students are strongly encouraged to stick to their autumn schedule after registration.

How does the waitlist function work?

You can waitlist for a full class after registration has ended for new students. Waitlists prioritize students who first added themselves to the waitlist. Each time an existing student drops the class, the #1 student on the waitlist will receive an email and has 24 hours to add the class. If they miss the 24 hour deadline, the spot is made available to the #2 student for 24 hours. This process continues until the spot has been filled.

Can I get to classes that are scheduled only 10 minutes apart?

Yes, you will be able to get between classes that are scheduled 10 minutes apart, even if they are in different buildings on campus.

Is it okay to take only 3 classes/12 hours in my first quarter?

While taking only 3 classes is enough for you to be a full time student, we recommend planning to take 4 classes in each quarter in order to stay on track for graduation, and to allow you flexibility to drop a class if needed, while staying full time.

I thought I added a class and now it is gone, can you put me back in?

When you are in the registration system, pushing the "Add" button next to a class puts it into the "Summary" box on the lower right-hand side of your screen, as a pending course. However, you must push "Submit" in the lower right-hand corner to register for a course. If you have added courses to your Summary but did not register for them by pushing "Submit," you will need to search again for classes to add to your schedule. You are registered once the Status in the Summary box says "Registered" in green instead of "Pending" in light grey.

I am registered for 3 classes and I want to drop one, but it won't let me. Why not?

For some students (especially international students), the registration system will not let you drop below 12 hours because you are required to maintain full time status as a student. In order to drop a class if you are only registered for 3, you will need to add a 4th class, and then you can drop one of the 4 classes you have to stay at 12 hours or above.

Login Information 

What is my DU ID/Pioneer ID number and how do I learn what it is?

Your DU ID number is a unique student ID number consisting of 9 digits, typically beginning with 87. This number was emailed to you when you deposited at DU. If you forgot your DU ID number please call the Office of the Registrar at 303.871.4095.

What is the difference between PioneerWeb and Canvas?

PioneerWeb is an easy-to-use and secure portal with DU information tailored specifically for you. Your access to PioneerWeb provides unlimited opportunities to explore and learn more about DU before you come to campus. PioneerWeb is also the site you will use to register for classes. Canvas, is where your professors and instructors will post content for a specific course, you may also submit assignments here.

Where can I find the academic calendar for 2021/2022?

You can find a link to the 2021/2022 academic calendar here. Please note that the calendar is subject to change.


How do I set-up my DU email address?

When you deposited at DU, you received an email with instructions to set up your DU email. Please make sure you check every email address you might have used to apply, including old school email addresses.

How will DU communicate with me over the summer?

The Office of Admissions will email you every month with important information. If you are participating in a specific program (e.g. PLP, LLC, Honors), you may receive specific communication from your program.

Does DU have an app for my iPhone or Android I can use?

Yes. You can search for the "PioneerMobile" app in the app store for both iPhone and Android.

Who can I call if I have more questions that are not answered here?

Please email for all registration related questions.


When will I receive my bill and when is it due?

You will receive your bill on August 1st and it is due August 22nd.

Do I pay tuition each quarter and do I have to pay different amounts of tuition per credit hour?

Tuition is paid per quarter. Tuition is a flat rate for undergraduate students enrolled in 12 – 18 credit hours per quarter. Students enrolled in 11 or less pay per credit hour, whereas students enrolled in 19 or more pay the base tuition plus additional tuition per credit hour.

How will I receive my bill and how do I pay it?

A statement listing actual charges and financial aid credits for the term will be generated and posted to DUPay, our online tuition payment portal. An email will be sent to your DU email address each time a statement is posted.

Can I pay my tuition in installments?

The University of Denver offers payment plan options to pay your tuition and fees. Quarterly payment plans are available for undergraduates & graduates. Semester plans are available for law students. The application fee is $20 per quarter plan and $30 per semester plan.

What is a Billing Agreement, FERPA or authorized user, and do I need all three?
  • All students at the University of Denver are required to sign a yearly Billing Agreement. You will not be permitted to complete registration until you electronically sign this agreement. A registration hold is placed on your account until the agreement is signed. To view this hold and complete the agreement, please log in to PioneerWeb. Once there, click the Student tab, and navigate to My Statement | Billing Agreement. 
  •  A FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) release must be completed to allow academic/billing information to be shared with persons of your choice, such as your bill payer. This will allow those you designate to inquire on the phone/email or in person about charges on your tuition bill. This is separate from DUPay authorized users. For more information visit:
  •  DUPay allows you to share your DU tuition account information with multiple authorized users. Authorized users can log into DUPay to view your student account balance and make payments on your behalf. You also have the option to give authorized users access to your statement and payment history. Authorized users DO NOT have access to your stored payment methods, academic records or other personal information, and you do not have access to your authorized user's stored payment information. Authorized users are not able to call or email the University and inquire about charges on your statement unless they are also designated on your FERPA release.
  •  The Billing Agreement is required for all students. While FERPA and authorized users are not required, most students complete these steps to allow designated persons to assist them so they may concentrate on studies.
  • If you cannot register but have completed the billing agreement check to see if you have any active holds on your student account. If not, contact the Bursar's Office at 303-871- 4944 between the hours of 8am – 4:30pm Monday through Friday for further assistance.

Curriculum Questions (Including AP/IB, Transfer Credit and Math/Language Assessment Testing)

How do I know if DU has received my AP/IB scores?
  • AP and IB results are received in large batches the second week of July. It can take at least a couple of weeks to process these scores and subsequently award the appropriate transfer credit. Please log in to Pioneer Web > Student (tab) > My Profile > Prior Education and Testing (left hand side) and your scores should be displayed in the lower right. If your scores are not in PioneerWeb under My Profile, please check back after July 12 to verify your scores have been received. If they have not been received by the beginning of your registration time ticket, please refer to the DU AP/IB equivalencies information under the "AP/IB and Transfer Credit" tab to guide your registration. If DU has not received your scores, log in to College Board and verify that your scores were sent to school code 4842.
  • For IB scores only: Use this link to send IB scores to DU, once your scores have been sent email and notify them your scores have been sent to DU. Please include your name, DU ID and mm/yyyy that you took your IB exams in your email.
When will my transfer credit show up on my degree audit?

Dual/concurrent enrollment courses will be evaluated from official college transcripts for enrolled first-year students beginning in May and continuing throughout the summer months. Every attempt will be made to have credit evaluations complete by summer registration, which makes it imperative that we receive official college transcripts as soon as final grades are posted. Please contact if you have any further questions.

What classes should I register for if I have lots of AP/IB credit and how will my AP/IB scores count towards my degree?

Depending on your AP or IB scores, you may have credits that count towards Common Curriculum, your major(s), your minor(s), or electives. The University of Denver awards transfer credit for Advanced Placement (AP) and Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores that meet the criteria. The college will award up to 45 total quarter hours for credit. Once your scores become available, you can refer to our AP and IB credit guide to determine how your scores impact your DU credits. If you did not already do so, you will need to have CollegeBoard send your AP scores or the International Baccalaureate send your IB Scores to DU code 4842. All incoming first year students will register for a First-Year Seminar (FSEM) course, so keep those 4 credits in mind as you plan Autumn quarter.

How much credit (AP, IB or transfer) can I transfer in to DU?

A maximum of 45 quarter hours can be transferred for AP or IB exams, a maximum of 96 quarter hours (64 semester hours) can be transferred in from two-year colleges and a maximum of 135 quarter hours (90 semester hours) can be transferred in from any combination of AP/IB exam credit, two-year and four-year institutions and/or military credit.

How do I know which math class to take and what is the deadline for the math assessment?

First consult your degree plan in the "Sample Course Plans" tab. If you are required to take calculus courses, please take our math advising tools. The deadline for autumn registration for new students is July 1st.

How do I know which language to take, who takes the language placement test and what is the deadline for the placement test?

Students at DU can choose whichever language they desire. A handful of majors are exempt from the foreign language requirement. Please refer to the Center for World Languages and Culture's website for the most up to date information regarding language assessment testing. The deadline for completing the exam for autumn registration for new students is July 1st. Sign Language will not satisfy your foreign language requirement at DU, and you cannot transfer sign language credits to satisfy the requirement. Please visit the Department of Languages and Literatures for approved languages and offerings at DU.

I scored high on my AP/IB language exam, do I still need to take a language assessment test?

Yes, even if you scored high on your AP or IB language exam you will still need to take the language assessment test and your AP or IB scores do not exempt you from the foreign language requirement. Please refer to the Center for World Languages and Culture's website for the most up to date information regarding language assessment testing.

What is a credit hour and how many credit hours should I take?

The University of Denver unit of credit is the quarter hour. In general, each quarter hour of credit requires one class period of 50 minutes each week. Depending on the instruction method, the quarter-hour credit may not equal the hours spend in class. Most undergraduate programs at DU require 183 credit hours, this number includes transfer, AP and IB credit that has been approved by DU. In order to be a full-time student, you will need to register for at least 12 credits, which is generally three classes, worth 4 credits each. We recommend registering for 16 credits (4 classes) so that you have the flexibility to drop a course during the first week of the quarter without any penalty, such as a "W" on your transcripts. All incoming first year students will register for a First-Year Seminar (FSEM) course, so keep those 4 credits in mind as you plan autumn quarter. During your first quarter at DU, you can take up to 19 credit hours. Tuition costs the same for credit loads between 12 to 18 credits; any credits above 18 will result in additional tuition costs. After your first quarter, with an Academic Advisor's approval, you could consider more than 19 credits per quarter, with a maximum of 21 credits.

What is the common curriculum?

The Common Curriculum provides students with a well-rounded education, creates context for major or minor course of study and introduces students to new areas of interest. From students' initial First-Year Seminar to the culminating Advanced Seminar, the curriculum encourages connections across modes of learning.

What is an AI and SI society?

The Analytical Inquiry-Society, commonly referred to as an AI-Society, is a Common Curriculum requirement. AI-Society courses encompass Arts & Humanities types of courses, and all DU undergraduate students will need two (2) AI-Society courses from two different disciplines. In the PioneerWeb registration system, you can search by "Attribute" to find courses that meet this requirement. Click here for full step-by-step registration instructions. The Scientific Inquiry-Society, commonly referred to as an SI-Society, is a Common Curriculum requirement. SI-Society courses encompass Social Sciences types of courses, and all DU undergraduate students will need two (2) SI-Society courses from two different disciplines. In the PioneerWeb registration system, you can search by "Attribute" to find courses that meet this requirement. Click here for full step-by-step registration instructions.

Are there mandatory courses I should take my first quarter?

Every first year student must take an FSEM their first quarter. Beyond your FSEM course, please consult the course guides in the "Sample Course Plans" tab for specific information pertaining to your degree.

I am in the Pioneer Leadership Program (PLP), Honors or a Living Learning Community (LLC), which specific classes do I need to take?

If you have not received information about which classes to take for the PLP or LLC please contact Nicole Cozzi (303.871.3993) for PLP or Brianna Johnson (303.871.3554) for LLC.


If you have additional questions, please email