Skip navigation
Risk Management Banner

International Travel

Insurance Coverage while Abroad

The following is a discussion concerning required and available insurance coverages while traveling internationally. (Please note that this is only a general overview. The specific policy terms and applicable law – not this overview – apply to any particular incident.) The following types of insurance will be discussed in this section:

  1. Health Insurance – Personal Insurance Required
  2. International SOS – Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage
  3. Life Insurance
  4. Workers Compensation
  5. Miscellaneous Coverages Insuring University Employees
  6. Traveler Personal Property
  7. Travel Insurance

Health Insurance - Personal Insurance Required

All travelers must maintain personal health insurance that provides coverage while traveling internationally. Part of the travel registration process includes a certification by each traveler that health insurance will be in effect. In some countries, proof of medical coverage is required to obtain a visa. Travelers should research the type of coverage most appropriate to their destination. Program directors, faculty, and staff should not evaluate the coverage travelers have in effect but leave this to the traveler’s insurance carrier. The University’s student health insurance policy may cover a student traveling internationally, but students must check with the Health and Counseling Center for specific details related to their travel destinations. Please note that the plan with International SOS is not a health insurance or medical expense policy and is no substitute for a personal health insurance or medical expense policy. Travelers can also purchase add-on medical expense coverage through International SOS if they believe their personal health insurance is inadequate for international travel.

Return to Top

International SOS - Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage

All travelers who register their travel in DU Passport or submit a travel request in Pioneer Travel and Expense are provided evacuation and repatriation coverage for the duration of their University-related international travel. Persons traveling on personal matters before, in the midst of, or after University-related travel are strongly encouraged to purchase additional membership benefits at a personal cost to avoid any possible gaps in coverage. The International SOS website offers coverage at a discount off the normal rate when the University's membership number (11BSGC000067) is entered when logging into the site. 

The following exclusions apply to both the International SOS Plan and the Nationwide Evacuation and Repatriation Expense Policy. This is only a general overview. The specific policy terms and applicable law – not this overview – apply to any particular incident. If you are injured or need assistance while engaging in any of the following activities while traveling abroad, you will not be entitled to benefits under the International SOS membership:

  • Skydiving, hang gliding, parachuting, mountaineering (does not apply to school sponsored trips), any motorized speed race, bungee jumping, speed contests, spelunking or caving, heli-skiing, or extreme skiing
  • Participation in any war, invasion, revolution, or insurrection
  • Piloting or learning to pilot or acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft
  • Commission or the attempt to commit a criminal act
  • Any non-emergency treatment or surgery, routine physical examinations, hearing aids, eyeglasses, or contact lenses

For a complete list of exclusions, view the following International SOS Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation policy.

Return to Top

Life Insurance

With some life insurance plans, exclusions may apply for any countries or regions with an active U.S. Department of State Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory or in war-torn areas. To ensure you have adequate coverage, travelers should contact their insurance carrier for specific details.

Return to Top

Workers Compensation

Only University employees acting within the scope of essential duties and injured while on the job traveling abroad are generally covered under the University’s workers compensation insurance. However, this coverage expires after an employee is out of the state of Colorado for six months or more. Coverage can be extended if the University files a request with the State of Colorado before the expiration of the six-month period. 

Under Colorado law, students participating in internships are also covered by the University’s workers compensation insurance, so long as the University sponsors the internship and the student is taught through a coordinated combination of specialized in-school instruction and on-the-job training provided through a local business, agency, or organization or any governmental agency in cooperation with the University. This coverage is also subject to the six-month rule discussed above.

Return to Top

Miscellaneous Coverages Insuring University Employees

University employees also have the benefit of coverage under the following policies while traveling internationally, including the requirement that injuries to another caused by an employee occur accidentally while the employee is engaged in activities related to University business:

  • Business travel accidental death and dismemberment – up to $50,000 in coverage and $10,000 in medical expenses
  • General liability – up to $1 million in coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others
  • Foreign liability – up to $2 million in coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others
  • Excess liability – up to $100 million in additional coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others

Any incidents potentially covered under these policies must be reported within twenty-four hours of the incident to Campus Safety at 1.303.871.3000 and Enterprise Risk Management at 1.303.871.3810.

Return to Top

Traveler Personal Property 

Traveler personal property is not covered by University insurance. Travelers should ensure that homeowners or renter’s insurance covers personal property, or purchase additional coverage appropriate to their needs and location. In addition, there is always the potential of a claim that is not covered by University insurance that could create personal exposure for a traveler – for instance, activities outside the scope of duties as a University employee, violation of University policies, and willful acts and crimes. A personal homeowners and umbrella liability policy can often provide protection when involved with non-University activities. Travelers should contact their personal insurer for specific details.

Return to Top

Travel Insurance 

Travel insurance is not provided by the University. Travelers interested in purchasing travel insurance should research available options. The University cannot provide recommendations on travel insurance. Travel insurance typically includes trip cancellation and interruption, emergency evacuation, baggage, and flight insurance.

Return to Top