Summer Aid

While many students are only eligible for student loans to help pay for the summer term, we encourage you to contact your graduate department to learn if there are any institutional aid opportunities available for summer.


The Summer Aid Application is now available!

All students who are interested in receiving aid for the summer quarter must submit a summer financial aid application:

  1. Log into PioneerWeb and go to your Student tab.
  2. Click on the "Summer Aid Application" link in the Financial Aid Information box.
  3. Choose the 2020-2021 Aid Year from the drop-down menu.
  4. Go to the "Resources/Additional Information" tab.
  5. Scroll down, answer the two questions and submit.

You'll receive an email with information about your summer aid eligibility once an advisor reviews your application. Because of the extremely high volume of applications we receive (especially in April), please allow 3-4 weeks for processing.

Apply Now

Want to get an idea of what you'll owe for the summer term? Use our estimated billing worksheet.

student studying by fountain

Deadlines & Important Dates:

  Summer Quarter Summer Semester
(Law Students)
Priority deadline to apply for summer aid: May 1 April 23
Final deadline to apply for summer aid: June 18 June 18
Financial aid disbursement: June 11 May 22
First day of classes (for most programs): June 14 June 1
Last day of exams: August 20 July 29

Types of Summer Aid Available

  • Institutional Aid

    For information about departmental scholarships or grants for the summer, please contact your graduate department directly. Departmental aid is often unavailable over the summer.

  • Student Loans

    To receive federal aid for the summer term, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be enrolled in at least 4 credit hours; if you are enrolled in fewer than 4 credits, you may apply for private loans only.

    Direct Unsubsidized Loans: If eligible, you'll be offered a Direct Unsubsidized loan. Summer is considered the last term of the academic year, so if you've already borrowed the full $20,500 in an Unsubsidized loan over the previous quarters/semesters of the academic year, you will be ineligible for any additional Unsubsidized loan funds in the summer. However, you may be eligible to borrow a Graduate PLUS or private loan to help finance the cost of the summer term.

    Graduate PLUS Loans: If you borrowed a Grad PLUS loan previously in the academic year, you will be offered this loan again for the summer term. Once accepted, a credit check will be performed by the Department of Education before it can be guaranteed. You will need to pass this credit check, or have a credit-worthy endorser, to receive this loan.

    If you have not previously borrowed a Grad PLUS loan, but borrowed a total of $20,500 in a Direct Unsubsidized loan for the 2020-21 academic year, you may apply for a Grad PLUS loan to help finance your summer courses. Apply online through You will need to pass a credit check, or have a credit-worthy endorser, to receive this loan.

    Private Education Loans: If you'll be enrolled in fewer than 4 credits, you can apply for a private education loan directly with the lender of your choice. When applying for a private loan, please be sure to use a loan period of 6/14/2021 - 8/20/2021 for summer quarter, or 6/1/2021 - 7/29/2021 for summer semester, on the application.

  • Work-Study

    Work-study employment ends on June 10, 2021, for the 2020-21 academic year (May 20th for law students). If you are offered work-study for the 2021-22 academic year, you may begin working as early as July 5, 2021.

    Other work opportunities are available for students seeking employment over the summer. Visit the Student Employment website or contact them at for more information.

Information for Summer Starts

If you will be starting classes for the first time in the summer term, you do not need to complete the online summer aid application. Instead, you will need to complete the 2020-21 FAFSA. Once submitted, you will receive a financial aid offer via email within two to three weeks.

Please note: The 2020-21 FAFSA is only available through June 30th. After that date, you will no longer be able to receive federal aid (including loans) for the summer term.