Undocumented Students

DU is committed to minimizing any obstacles students may face. While undocumented students have limited eligibility for financial aid, and are not eligible for any federal aid such as work-study and federal student loans, we're pleased to be able to offer certain types of funding from the University of Denver and the State of Colorado.

Institutional Aid

At the graduate level, most available scholarships are merit-based and are awarded by individual academic departments. For many merit-based scholarships, you're automatically considered when you apply for admission. Some, however, will require a separate application. All types of institutional aid at DU are awarded by individual academic units (instead of our office). If you have questions about the availability of scholarships, be sure to contact your graduate department directly.

> Institutional Scholarships

Colorado State Aid

Colorado’s House Bill HB22-1155 allows undocumented students who meet the eligibility requirements to apply for the Colorado Critical Career Graduate Grant. This grant is available to students enrolled in a critical career field as determined by the Colorado Department of Higher Education (science, technology, engineering, math, and health care) for up to $5,000 per year.

Eligibility Requirements:

To be eligible for this grant, you must:

  • have graduated from a Colorado high school or was physically present in Colorado for at least one year immediately preceding the date you successfully completed a high school equivalency examination in Colorado; and
  • have been physically present in Colorado for at least 12 consecutive months prior to enrolling at DU.

Steps to Apply for the Colorado "Critical Career" Graduate Grant:

  1. Apply for admission to DU (if you aren’t already a student).
  2. Complete the CSS Profile application. Our school code is 4842.
  3. Submit the Colorado Residency Form to the University of Denver Registrar’s Office.
  4. Complete an affidavit with the College Opportunity Fund (COF):
    1. Go to https://cof.college-assist.org/ and click “Apply Now!”
    2. Enter your date of birth
    3. Select “I do not have or wish to provide my SSN” from the “Social Security #” drop-down and click Next.
    4. Choose “No” to the question about Concurrent Enrollment or ASCENT.
    5. After choosing “No” to the immigration status question, select one of the two options listed for high school graduation or GED, and enter your information at the bottom of the page.
    6. Continue through the application and click “Submit.”

Please Note: Although you’re required to complete the College Opportunity Fund affidavit as a part of the application process, undocumented and graduate students are not eligible to receive COF at the University of Denver.

Contact Us

If you are interested in applying for this grant, please contact our Associate Director, Kelly Graves, to help you through the process. She can be reached at 303-871-2331 or at Kelly.Graves@du.edu.

view of Denver from campus

Private Scholarships

There are several organizations outside of DU that offer financial support for undocumented students looking for resources to help pay for college.

MALDEF Resources

Other Scholarships & Resources

aerial view of campus

Inclusive Excellence Resources & Services

Find institutional, local, state and national resources and services that support and address the needs of our international, immigrant, Muslim, undocumented and DACAmented students.

Inclusive Excellence Resources



Financial Aid