Skip navigation
Undergraduate Financial Aid

Types of Aid

Institutional Grants and Scholarships

The University of Denver is committed to giving high-potential students access to DU's foundational and transformational education. Some of our scholarships are awarded upon admission, while others will require you to apply for financial aid.

These grants and scholarships are only available to students enrolled in DU's traditional, four-year undergraduate programs. If you are a University College student, please contact your department directly to learn about institutional aid opportunities.

Important Note for Music Majors: Students applying to the Lamont School of Music will be holistically considered for a comprehensive scholarship (ranging from $1,000 to full tuition) that will take talent, academic merit, and financial need into consideration. This means students who are awarded a music scholarship are not eligible to receive an admission merit scholarship or any institutional need-based grants. If you are awarded a music scholarship, you will be notified within two weeks of your admission decision.

Merit Scholarships

  • These are our most commonly awarded scholarships.
  • You are automatically considered for merit scholarships when you apply for admission to DU.
  • Eligibility for these awards is based on high school GPAs and scores on standardized tests.
  • If you are eligible for a merit scholarship, you will be notified in your DU acceptance letter.
  • Award amounts range from $9,000 to $23,000 annually.
  • Awards are renewed for 12 consecutive quarters (excluding summer quarters).
  • You must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain eligible.
  • Merit scholarships are not available to students who are seeking a second bachelor's degree.

Scholarship Amounts for Students Entering in the 2018-2019 Academic Year:


Annual Award

Hall Grant*

Total Annual
Amount (potential)





















Crimson & Gold









Transfer Student Awards


Pikes Peak



Mt. Evans



Longs Peak



 *An additional $3,000 is awarded towards tuition if you reside in approved residence halls and apartments. Such housing is required for the first- and second-year students. Transfer students are not eligible for the Residence Hall Grant.

RaiseMe Micro-Scholarships:

The University of Denver has partnered with the RaiseMe micro-scholarship program. Throughout your high school experience, you are able to earn scholarship dollars for reaching important academic benchmarks or for accomplishments in your extracurricular activities - accolades that ultimately set you up as an excellent candidate for admission. For example, you can earn up to:

  • $400 for taking at least 3 years of the same foreign language
  • $500 for scoring a 4 or 5 on an AP Exam
  • $1,000 for taking the PSAT or ACT Plan
  • $1,500 for attending a summer program at DU

If you receive an equal or higher total amount of aid from the University of Denver, note that this includes the micro-scholarships you earned on RaiseMe.

Endowed Scholarships

  • These scholarships are awarded by individual academic departments at DU.
  • Our office identifies students who are eligible for endowed scholarships based on the criteria for each award, and each department then chooses which students receive the scholarship.
  • If you meet the criteria for an award, you will be automatically considered for the scholarship. However, some departments also require an application. Contact your department to determine if you need to submit an application to be considered for an endowed scholarship.

Talent Scholarships

  • These scholarships are awarded based on achievements in athletics, music, theater, speech, and art.
  • Recipient and award amounts are determined by athletic and academic departments.
  • Contact your academic department or varsity coach directly for more information. 

Residence Hall Grant

  • This $3,000 grant is available to incoming students who were awarded a Merit Scholarship and live on campus. (Note: Transfer students are not eligible for the Residence Hall grant.)
  • You must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits).
  • If you live off campus, you are no longer eligible for this award.
  • This grant pays directly toward the tuition costs on your bill.
  • Eligible on-campus housing includes: Johnson-McFarlane Hall, Centennial Towers, Centennial Halls, Nelson Hall, Nagel Hall, Hilltop, Summit apartments, Mesa apartments, Ridgeline apartments, University Lofts apartments, University Place apartments, Lynn Marie apartments, Transfer Learning Community House (Kappa Sigma house), Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and Vista apartments for which a DU-student housing contract is in place.

DU Educational Grant (DUEG)

  • Eligibility is determined by the information reported on your FAFSA and CSS Profile.
  • You must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain eligible.
  • Awards are not automatically renewed; students must reapply for financial aid every year.
  • Award amounts vary and may change from year to year depending on changes to your family's financial situation.

Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship (Transfer students)

  • This $2,500 scholarship is available to transfer students who were a member of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) prior to attending DU.
  • Proof of membership must be submitted to Undergraduate Admission, either through a notation on the transcript or through a separate confirmation from the PTK chapter. No separate scholarship application is required.
  • This award can be combined with your Admission merit scholarship and is automatically renewable as long as you remain in good academic standing at DU.
  • Please note that high school students with dual credit do not qualify for the award.