While the financial aid application process can sometimes seem intimidating, we'll provide you with the resources and guidance you need to complete every step of the way.
Steps to Apply
- Create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID: Students will sign up for a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID, which will be used every year on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and for Master Promissory Notes (MPNs) for federal student loans.
Create an FSA ID
- Complete the FAFSA: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to determine eligibility for federal financial aid and is required if you wish to tap into federal student loans. DU's school code for the FAFSA is 001371.
(Which FAFSA should I submit? If you're applying for aid for the 2021 fall term, submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA. If you're applying for aid for the 2021 winter, spring or summer terms, submit the 2020-2021 FAFSA.)
Submit the FAFSA
- Submit Supporting Documentation: We sometimes need to ask for additional documentation in order to verify that the information on your application is accurate. If we need further information, we'll send you an email. You must submit all requested documents before we can finalize your financial aid offer. Outstanding requirements can also be viewed on the Student tab of PioneerWeb.
- Incoming students applying for fall admission: January 15
- Incoming students applying for winter, spring or summer admission: no priority deadline — apply as soon as possible
- Returning students: March 15
Why apply by the priority deadline?
For new students, applying by the priority deadline means that if you're admitted to DU, you'll receive your aid offer in late February or soon after you're admitted (whichever comes later). For continuing students, it means you can expect to receive your aid offer in early June. If you miss the priority deadline, you'll decrease your chances of receiving sought-after types of financial aid such as work-study, which draw from a limited pool of funding. You should still apply as soon as possible to get your aid offer!
If you have been selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, we must collect further documentation before we can send you a financial aid offer. We'll notify you via email if we need additional information.Learn More
When to Expect Your Financial Aid Offer
Once you have completed the requirements to apply for aid, we will send you a financial aid offer via email. Once the following timelines have passed, we send aid offers on a weekly basis to new students who were recently admitted and submitted the FAFSA.
- Prospective graduate students - fall 2021 start: We'll begin sending financial aid offers in early March to admitted students who plan to begin classes in the fall..
- Prospective graduate students - spring 2021 start: We send financial aid offers on a weekly basis to students who have been admitted and have completed the application process. (Note: If you've submitted the FAFSA and believe you should've received your financial aid offer but haven't, be sure you submitted the 2020-21 FAFSA—not the 2021-22 FAFSA.)
- Prospective graduate students - summer 2021 start: We'll begin sending financial aid offers in early April to admitted students who plan to begin classes in the summer and have applied for aid.
- Current DU students: We'll begin sending 2021-22 financial aid offers in mid-June.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to apply for financial aid in order to receive an admission decision?
No. Completing the financial aid application process is not required to be considered for admission to DU.
Do I need to apply for financial aid if I'm only interested in receiving a merit scholarship?
No. Completing the financial aid application process is not required to be considered for a merit scholarship, assistantship or fellowship.
How can I find the status of my application?
You can check your application status at any time by visiting PioneerWeb. Please note that it can take 7-10 business days after receiving any application materials for an update to be made.
2197 S. University Blvd.
Denver, Colorado 80210
M - F 8am-4:30pm
FAFSA Code: 001371
CSS Profile Code: 4842