Undergraduate Transfer Policy

DU's undergraduate transfer policy relies predominantly on three factors to determine the transferability of undergraduate credit — the subject matter, earned course grade and transferring institution. Each of these factors, along with credit hour equivalency determination and additional considerations covered by the policy, are explained in further detail below.

Subject Matter

Usually, courses taken in baccalaureate disciplines likewise offered at the University of Denver are readily transferable. Credits from professional programs will be examined on a course-by-course basis and are often transferable. However, courses in vocational or occupational subjects are, in general, not transferable without departmental approval. Applicability to the student's degree program and comparability to an existing University of Denver course may also be used as determining factors for acceptance or denial of transfer credit.

Course Grades

Only courses with an earned grade of C-minus or better (1.7 or above on a four-point scale) are eligible for transfer. Transfer grades are not included in DU GPAs and cannot be used to reduce DU grade-point deficiencies.

Credits earned as pass/fail can be transferred only as elective credits. They do not apply to specific degree requirements other than total hours for graduation and the University must determine the passing grade is equivalent to C-minus or better.

Transferring Institutions

  • Domestic Institutions

    Credit will be considered for courses taken at institutions with accreditation from agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Credits are more readily accepted from collegiate institutions with regional accreditation, although credits earned at collegiate institutions with national or special accreditation will also be considered on a course-by-course basis, provided they meet the subject matter requirements outlined above. Institutions granted official candidacy status by a regional accrediting association are accorded equal consideration to those that are fully accredited.

  • Foreign Institutions

    Credit will be considered for courses taken at foreign institutions of higher education that are formally recognized by their country's Ministry of Education. The same general considerations apply for course content and grades as they do for U.S. institutions.

  • Two-Year Institutions

    Credit from two-year institutions is generally considered lower-division, although advanced courses from two-year institutions may be considered upper-division if validated by the appropriate departments. The maximum number of credits that may be transferred from two-year institutions is 96 quarter hours.

  • Study Abroad

    Credit earned in affiliated study abroad programs is counted as resident credit. Credit earned in unaffiliated study abroad programs is treated as foreign institution transfer credit and subject to this policy.

  • Military Courses

    Military courses documented through Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS), DD Form 295: "Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences During Military Service" or DD Form 214: "Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer or Discharge" may be eligible for transfer consideration. Military courses must be validated by the department with which the subject matter is most closely aligned.

Maximum Transfer Credit Hours & Residency Requirements

  • A maximum of 135 quarter hours of credit may be transferred. The final 45 credits must be earned at the University of Denver.
  • At least half of the credit hours required for majors and minors must be completed at the University of Denver.
  • At least half of the credit hours required for undergraduate business degrees must be completed at the University of Denver.

Continuing Students

Continuing students must receive approval in advance to transfer credits. DU students may not enroll concurrently at other institutions without prior permission.

Additional Considerations

  • Instructional Methodologies

    Transfer credit may be denied based on inequivalent instruction methodologies to those in use at the University of Denver. This especially may apply to online and distance courses, though they are not categorically restricted.

  • AP & IB Credit Maximums

    A maximum of 45 quarter hours can be awarded for all AP and IB credit.

  • Articulation Agreements

    The University of Denver may enter into transfer articulation agreements with other institutions as deemed mutually beneficial. Such agreements are administered by the Office of the Registrar and include transfer course guides. DU may establish transfer course guides independent of formal articulation agreements.