Withdrawal & Readmission

Students who wish to no longer be enrolled at the University are typically able to withdraw through the eighth week of the quarter. Depending on the specific timing and circumstances of this decision, including whether the withdrawing student plans to be readmitted, the procedure for the applicable withdrawal type outlined below should be followed. Please consult Calendars & Deadlines for official withdrawal deadlines.

Notification of Intent to Withdraw

Once the decision to withdraw has been made, a withdrawal request should be submitted as soon as possible to the Registrar's office via MyDU, Search for Withdraw from DU or Records and Request. Under Request and Other Actions, click on Withdraw from DU link. The date you submit this notification will be recorded as your official date of withdrawal.

Automatic Withdrawal Period

All students on the quarter system may drop classes without instructor approval during the automatic withdrawal period, which runs through the sixth week of the quarter. However, if you are failing, your instructor may deny your withdrawal request. Classes dropped during the first week will be deleted from the record. For classes dropped after the first week, you'll receive a withdrawal grade notation of "W." This will not factor into your GPA.

Post–Automatic Withdrawal Period

Instructor approval via a signed add/drop form is required to withdraw from courses after the automatic withdrawal period, during the seventh and eighth weeks of the quarter. After the eighth week, withdrawals are no longer allowed, although students in extenuating circumstances may file a petition for exception to academic policy.

Types of Withdrawals

  • Temporary Withdrawal

    Undergraduate students who withdraw from the University of Denver retain the ability to re-enroll for five calendar years. Graduate students seeking readmission after withdrawal should consult the graduate bulletin as well as their graduate program regarding time limits for completion of their degree.

  • Personal Leave of Absence

    Students planning on withdrawing temporarily from the University should indicate their intent to return by applying for a personal leave of absence during the withdrawal process, and include the quarter they plan to return on the withdrawal form. Graduate students should consult the personal leave of absence policy in the Graduate Bulletin.

  • Medical Leave of Absence

    Students with mental and/or physical health conditions may apply for a medical leave of absence from the University. The Student Outreach & Support Office will reach out during the withdrawal process with additional instructions and information.

  • Permanent Withdrawal

    Undergraduate students should indicate their desire to withdraw permanently from the University on the withdrawal form. Graduate students wishing to permanently withdraw should notify their department in writing.

  • Suspension, Dismissal or Termination

    After following due process, University officials may administratively withdraw students for academic or disciplinary reasons. These types of withdrawals include:

    • Academic suspension (mandated leave of absence)
    • Academic dismissal
    • Disciplinary suspension (mandated leave of absence)
    • Disciplinary dismissal (permanent expulsion from the University)
    • Termination (mandated withdrawal from a graduate program)
  • Unofficial Withdrawal

    Even if you do not follow the official process to withdraw, certain actions and situations can still result in unofficial withdrawal. This may negatively impact financial aid status and leave the student with significant financial liability. Students are responsible for understanding and abiding by the University's payment and refund policies.