Tuition Appeals

If circumstances beyond your control cause you to stop attending your classes, you may appeal for an exception to the University's refund policy.

You must officially withdraw from all your courses before filing an appeal. You're eligible to file an appeal up to 90 days after the end of the term in which you enrolled in courses for which you'd like a refund.

There are two types of appeal:

  • Informal: Informal appeals are those that fall within the deadline for automatic withdrawal and occur for one of a few specific reasons.
  • Formal: Formal appeals that fall outside the automatic withdrawal deadline or are for circumstances that don't fall within the criteria of an informal appeal.
  • Informal Appeals

    After you've dropped all your courses, you can file an informal appeal for a full refund with the Office of the Registrar.

    To file an informal appeal, you must withdraw from all courses and request a full tuition refund before the end of the sixth week of the term in question (see the deadline for automatic withdrawal on our academic calendar).

    To be eligible for an automatic refund, you must meet one or more of the following criteria and provide appropriate documentation, as specified below:

    • You can't complete the course(s) because an immediate family member or a family member has died.

      Documentation: (for death) memorial service folder, notice in the paper or copy of death certificate
    • You've been forced to relocate for your job, or you've involuntarily lost your job and no longer are eligible for reimbursement through your employer.

      Documentation: letter on letterhead from immediate supervisor or human resource administrator.
    • You're unable to complete your course(s) because of an unexpected increase in job responsibilities, required change in your work schedule or required travel.

      Documentation: letter on letterhead from immediate supervisor or human resources administrator that specifies dates of increased workload or travel

    Again, you must submit the reason for your withdrawal and supporting documentation by the end of the sixth week of the term.

    If we find your documentation adequate and reasonable, we'll make appropriate adjustments to your account. If conditions don't merit an automatic refund, you may make a formal appeal.

    Staff in the Office of the Registrar or the Bursar's Office reserve the right to request a formal appeal if they deem conditions and/or documentation are inappropriate or dubious.

  • Formal Appeals

    If your circumstances don't fit the criteria for filing an informal appeal, the automatic withdrawal deadline has passed or we reject an informal appeal, you may file a formal appeal for a full or partial refund.

    To submit a Formal Tuition Appeal, log into MyDU, search for Request for Tuition Appeal, under the Requests and Other Actions, click Request a Tuition Appeal link. Please contact the Bursar's Office directly, if you have any questions regarding how to appeal.

    The Tuition Appeals Committee, which meets monthly, will review your petitions and deliver its decision to you via letter. This decision is final.

    NOTE: In accordance with federal, state and institutional regulations, you may be required to forfeit any financial aid you've received, which may result in an outstanding balance owed to the University.