Steps for Withdrawing from the University

These instructions for withdrawal apply to undergraduate students outside of University College, as well as graduate students in the following schools, colleges and programs:

  • Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
  • Daniel Felix Ritchie School of Engineering & Computer Science
  • Daniels College of Business
  • Josef Korbel School of International Studies
  • Graduate School of Professional Psychology
  • Ritchie School of Engineering Graduate Students

Students in the Graduate School of Social Work, Graduate Tax Program, Sturm College of Law and University College (graduate and undergraduate) will need to contact their registration office to initiate withdrawal from the University.

Instructions for Withdrawal

  • Step 1: Discuss Your Decision

    If you are considering withdrawing from the University, you should first consult with a counselor or the academic advisor within your college to determine whether withdrawal is an appropriate and advisable course of action.

    • Undergraduate students — Consult your major advisor or call the Center for Academic Advising: 303-871-2455.
    • Graduate students — Consult your program advisor.
    • International students — Consult International Student & Scholar Services for information on how withdrawal may affect visa status: 303-871-4912.
    • Athletes — Consult an advisor in Athletics & Recreation for information on how withdrawal may affect scholarships and eligibility: 303-871-2193.
    • Veterans — Consult the Veterans Affairs Coordinator in the Office of the Registrar for information on how withdrawal may affect benefits: 303-871-4878.
    • Other resources include the Health & Counseling Center: 303-871-2205, and University Disability Services: 303-871-3241.
  • Step 2: Notify DU of Your Intent to Withdraw
    • All students except those in the Sturm College of Law, Graduate Tax Program and University College must complete the withdrawal form in MyDU in order to officially initiate withdrawal.
    • Students in the Sturm College of Law, Graduate Tax Program and University College must notify the registration office within their college, school or program in order to officially initiate withdraw.
  • Step 3: Account for Timing

    Timing may affect withdrawal procedures and tuition refunds.

    • Consult the Registration & Billing Calendar for official withdrawal deadlines, tuition refund periods and financial liability.
    • Students withdrawing after the sixth week of the quarter are required to obtain instructor approval via a signed add/drop form.

    Students will be notified of additional necessary actions once the withdrawal form has been submitted.

  • Step 4: Temporary Withdrawal

    Students seeking to withdraw permanently from the University should skip to Step 5.

    Personal Leaves of Absence

    Undergraduates who withdraw from DU retain the ability to re-enroll for five calendar years. Those who plan on withdrawing temporarily should apply for a personal leave of absence and indicate the quarter they intend to return on the withdrawal form. Official transcripts from any institution attended while not enrolled at DU should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Students seeking readmission after more than five calendar years must reapply.

    Graduate students seeking to withdraw temporarily should consult the personal leave of absence policy in the Graduate Bulletin.

    Medical Leaves of Absence

    Students seeking to withdraw temporarily due to mental and/or physical health conditions may apply for a medical leave of absence from the University. The Student Outreach & Support Office will reach out during the withdrawal process with additional instructions and information.

  • Step 5: Permanent Withdrawal

    Undergraduate students should indicate their desire to permanently withdraw from the University on the withdrawal form.

    Graduate students wishing to permanently withdraw should notify their department in writing.

Other Matters to Consider when Withdrawing

  • Maintaining Contact

    In order to maintain contact with DU while you are not enrolled, be sure to keep your contact info updated in MyDU. Your DU email address will expire after 90 days.

  • Financial Liability

    It is the student's responsibility to know and abide by the University's payment and refund policies. By completing registration, you agree to pay the total amount of tuition and other charges set forth, whether or not you attended these courses. It is your responsibility to drop any courses you do not attend or do not plan to complete. For detailed information, review your signed Billing Responsibility Agreement on MyDU.


    Tips for Checking Financial Liability

    • Check the tuition and fee refund schedule or call Office of Student Billing at 303-871-4944 to determine the financial consequences of withdrawing.
    • Check your account via DUPay to see if you owe money to the University. Additional charges may appear up to six weeks after withdrawal. Students with a credit balance may request a refund from the Office of Student Billing. Call 303-871-4944 with billing questions.
    • Contact the Office of Student Billing at 303-871-4944 if you have a Federal Perkins loan, a short term loan or if you need debt counseling to pay an outstanding account balance.
    • Check the book return policy at the DU Bookstore by calling 303-871-3251.
    • Contact Parking & Mobility Service at 303-871-3210 regarding parking permits or holds due to unpaid citations.
    • Contact the Academic Commons Library at 303-871-3707 to return library books and check overdue book fines.
  • Financial Aid

    Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 303-871-4020 to have an exit interview and to adjust your aid.

    Student employees must stop working on the date of their withdrawal.

  • Health Insurance

    University of Denver health insurance coverage may be interrupted or discontinued. Consult the Health & Counseling Center at 303-871-2205 for more information.

  • University Housing

    Contact the Office of Housing & Residential Education at 303-871-2246 if you signed a housing contract or lease. You will need to check out of the residence halls and turn in your key. Housing charges may be prorated depending on the timing of your withdrawal.