Thriving at DU: New Hire Orientation
All new DU employees are required to attend new hire orientation, usually on their first day of work. You will be registered for an orientation session by your department and notified by email of your orientation date. New employees are often scheduled to begin work on the 1st or 3rd Monday of the month so that they may attend an orientation session on their first day.
Orientations are now Hybrid
Orientation are scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. unless it falls on a university holiday. New hires are emailed details based on the modality (remote or in-person) they are enrolled in by their supervisor. In-person attendees will receive a parking pass, breakfast and lunch (RSVP required). Please keep in mind we close registrations on the Thursday before Orientation so we can prepare.
Hiring managers are encouraged to register their new employees for orientation as soon as the hiring process is completed. We also highly encourage aligning employees' hire dates with their orientation dates to ensure they receive timely information about required training, resources, and employee benefits.
Lunch with your Supervisor
We invite hiring managers to join their new employees for lunch during orientation day. A Sodexo buffet with inclusive gourmet options will be provided. Please make sure to RSVP to the invitation. If you need additional information, email EmployeeOnboarding@du.edu.
To register an employee an upcoming session, log into MyDU, click on "Administrative Resources and Processes" under Employee Tools, scroll down to "New Employee Orientation and Onboarding", then click on the "Orientation Registration Form".
Orientation Program Topics
New employees are provided with information they'll need to thrive in the DU community. Topics include:
- Introduction to DU's mission, vision, and values
- DU history
- People, programs, and places on campus
- Inclusiveness at DU
- Overview of required new hire paperwork
- Overview of DU policies
- Overview of required training
- Overview of MyDU and IT Help Center resources
- Information regarding DU ID cards, parking passes, and transportation options
- Benefit plan overview and Q&A
Important paperwork required by federal law will need to be completed, we recommend that you do this prior to the orientation. If your start date is on a non-orientation day, please visit Employment Services to complete this paperwork on your first day, before reporting to your department to start work.
- Employment Services
Mary Reed Building, 4th Floor
2199 University Blvd Room 402
Monday-Thursday 10a.m.- 2p.m.
- Due to the historical structure of the Mary Reed building, some HRIC offices are not accessible on the 4th floor. If you require accessibility accommodations to access HRIC offices, please contact EmploymentServices@du.edu or call 303-871-7420 Option 1 before coming to the building to discuss options.
- 8:30 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. - Welcome & Introductions
- 8:50 a.m. - Orientation presentation
- 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. - Break
- 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. - Speakers from different departments
- 11:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - In-person attendees visit DU ID Office
- 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Lunch
- 1:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. - Benefits presentation (benefited employees)
Times are approximate.