Incomplete (I) Policy
An Incomplete "I" is a temporary grade that may be given at the instructor's discretion to a student when illness, necessary absence or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevent completion of course requirements.
Incomplete grades may be given only in the following circumstances:
- The student's work to date is passing;
- Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60% of the term;
- An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date;
- Required work may reasonably be completed in an agreed-upon time frame and does not require the student to re-take any portion of the course;
- The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade;
- The incomplete is not based solely on a student's failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time;
- The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term;
- The instructor and student discuss the terms for the Incomplete in writing before the end of the term. The Application for Incomplete Grade form can be used to document the terms of the Incomplete and can be turned in to the Registrar's Office by the instructor as a part of the official student's record.
If an Incomplete grade is agreed upon, the instructor is responsible for entering the "I" grade in PioneerWeb, as well as changing the grade to a final grade when applicable.
It is in the student's best interest that incomplete grades be made up by the end of the following academic term. Incomplete grades must be made up and final grades submitted within one calendar year from the date the Incomplete was recorded.
Make-up coursework may be completed while the student is not enrolled.
An Incomplete grade may not be considered passing for purposes of determining academic standing, federal financial aid eligibility, athletic eligibility or other purposes.
Notation of the original incomplete status of the grade remains on the student's transcript along with the final grade.
Incomplete grades will expire on the date selected by the professor when the grade of incomplete is entered. This date will be no more than one calendar year from the last day of classes of the quarter in which the incomplete was incurred. Incomplete grades may be replaced with letter grades prior to the expiration deadline with faculty approval through PioneerWeb.
Only in the most extenuating circumstances will extensions be granted beyond one calendar year. Reason for requests for extension may be added to Section IV of the Application for Incomplete Grade form, or in the "Comments" section of the Grade Change Request process online, and must be approved by the instructor and Dean.